Re: m21 crank

I suspect Mark wants to upgrade his engine to 600cc, like what I did Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Like what I did as well too!
Cheers, Mick.

email (option): mick@motorbikemike.org.uk

Well done Mick. Out of interest, what have you done to the gearing? I upped my engine sprocket from 19T to 21T, which I think gives me standard M21 solo gearing. It pulls so much better on hills.
I just have to watch out for pinking and retard the ignition if the revs drop too much. Ron

A lot of trouble to gain 1 hp!Weld up your heads!

I think you'll find it's an extra 2 HP. It's not about going faster for me. It's just the higher gear and more pulling power on hills. Especially if I'm laden with camping gear. Ron

Hi Ron, I stuck with a 20T engine sprocket, as the other half likes to jump on the back. But with the inner valve springs she does rev higher than standard. I also ave a "long neck" 1 1/16" carb body from an AA M21, so she seems to breathe better. I have been officially clocked( sorry officer) at 72MPH, so she does go, but the forks and brakes don't like it, neither do others who are with me! One of Ians "special" pistons is up for consideration next.
Cheers, Mick.

You're a braver man than me Mick. I find it starts getting scary at approaching 60mph. Ian slightly lightened my flywheels and I've got one of his singing a dancing exhaust valves, but with standard springs. Also a brand new 1 1/16" carb. Ron

Hi lads
Im was thinking off upgrading to a bigger piston i think its 720cc, i have a sleevless barrel coming from the eastern states, but he dosent want to sell the m21 crank at press, I allready have a rebuilt m20 crank but i want to put that in another casing and keep as spare, so idf i can get a crank at reasonable price ,it would be good, Is it just the con rod that makes the difference to enable the updrade on the crank

email (option): markbrob1@hotmail.com

No Mark. The con-rods are the same. It's the flywheels that are different. The bore also remains the same for M20-M21 but the piston hight is different. Ron

and there is me plodding about on my 500cc m20 happy as a sandboy it goes fast enough for me 55mph and pulls up fairly steep hills in 4th and the loverly weather we have been having sure bliss

thanks boys, as i have never riden an m20 i have no idea how it performs, but seeing that i;m trying a different look to my m20, possibly with harley forks ,keeping it a 500cc didnt seem enough poke for me, after reading ians bit on the pistons he gets from usa sounded quite good ,i will aslo put oil cooler on it s well, due to the summers here in perth, keeping the other m20 crank i have, for when i get enough money to complete an original bike so hopefully i'll have two bikes

My conversion started by accident. I purchased a set of NOS "M20" flywheels at a jumble. To these I fitted a NOS con rod assy and rebuilt the engine. Only after I fitted the cylinder and turned it to to dead I found a problem, the piston shot out the top of the cylinder! Thanks to my Hepolite book I soon realised an M21 piston would fix it.
Cheers, Mick.

thanks Mick

Nieuwe pagina 1