Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
spraying facilities

It seems everytime I want to spray something grit laden winds from the Sahara are coming in or a stray squadron of Kamikazee flies are on a mission in the area. Having just finished a protracted struggle to get two petrol tanks sprayed to a good standard I've now decided it might be time to organise some better facilities..
I thought of buying a small shed and lining it with plastic sheet or similar. I can utilise my bead blaster extraction quite simply and I am guessing I will need a close fitting door and some filtration on the 'air in' side.
This is all guesswork though as I haven't set up for this before...any pointers from those with practical experience would be welcome.

Re: spraying facilities

hi ian, ive got an 8ft by 6ft shed which i do every thing in it, its my workshop and my spray shop.
really i should wear a mask and cover my tools.
i dont think all the spiders like it though as they come out in the same colour as what ever ive painted.
thanks barry

email (option): mrsbfuller@hotmail.co.uk

Hi Ian,

I had the same problem, and made a wooden frame and fixed thick plastic on the inside. (and a door ;-)
I also used an old air extrator from a kitchen. (these have a closed electric motor, so no risk of exploding gases!!).
Make sure you also make a hole for a cloth filter for letting air in the cabin.

Cheers,

Leon

and invest in a bloody good respirator,dont be breathing that in,cheers rick

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

Hi Ian, I came across a large industrial fan, and made a room on the attic of my workshop, put a perforate plate (approx 2 x 1 meter) in front of it and cover this with a blanket or sheet which can be replaced easy at low cost. In the floor on the other side of the room I made a few holes and covered these with filtermaterial so that it sucks the relatively warmer air from the workshop instead of the cold air outside in winters.

Had some good results in this room but would like to install some more light, I now only have light from above but would like that from behind also. Seen TL's placed vertical in a professional sprayroom.

Also use this room for blasting, I was fed up with struggling in a small blasting cabinet with almost no sight, now I can blast large pieces like frames and mudguards without problem and with good visibility. Downside is that you get covered with blastingsand each time, but I now wear my raincoat and that works fine.

For primer spraying there is no need to clean the room but for topcoat I do clean it, but that is only a few times in a year for me.

I really like this double function of my precious workshop space. Good luck, Regards, Michiel

What you need is a rotary washing line and stand guard with a tin of fly spray, just don't tell the missus what you're doing with it.

Photobucket

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Thanks for the comments so far...I like elements of both Leons and Michiels suggestions...a 'temporary ' set up that can be stored away when not needed sounds sensible.
If I build it against one wall of my workshop I can plumb in air supply and extraction permanently and just have a 3 sided structure with a 'lid'.
Does anyone know where I could source a filter for incoming air or have any suggestions as to a suitable type?
Don't worry Rick...I already use a respirator specified for the job .....Ian

Here in the US we can get "paint booth filters" from Grainger, which has many brick-and-mortar stores as well as a web site www.grainger.com. I don't know if they ship overseas. I'm sure there are many other sources, as well. The booths themselves are expensive but if you are making your own booth you can simply make sure that the filter openings are the size that would accommodate the available filter sizes.

email (option): jonny.rudge@verizon.net

Thanks John...I guess it's time to hit Google for a supplier in the UK. I will certainly construct my own booth..that way I get exactly the size and features I want...and I like making stuff!....Ian

Hi Ian, air filtering material is also used in larger electronic cabinets which are cooled by fans. Maybe you could source it there. Regards, Michiel

Nieuwe pagina 1