Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Girder Fork Assembly

Having followed the instructions on how to assembly the fork in the Maintenance & Instruction manual, I can't think of what I'm doing wrong.

After completing the assembly the main spring sits incorrectly towards the frame.

Any ideas what I did wrong?

Photobucket

Photobucket

email (option): ferrarakias@hotmail.com

Re: Girder Fork Assembly

Hi, you should put some weight on them, most girder fork springs will touch the frame when there is no weight on them

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Yes indeed. They all do that, Sir ! Get your touch-up brush ready.

It's looking very nice Kostas.

Same here, I just reassembled the girder forks to my M20 and the spring is touching the lower bearing flange on the steering head. Once some pressure is on the spring from below, it swings up away from the frame.
Vince

email (option): vinver@ns.sympatico.ca

Hi, sorry to jump on this topic, but I have stripped and pained my RE WDCO forks and now cant seem to reassemble them - you seem to have managed that part... workshop manual not helpng. Dont suppose you have a step by step order of how you did it? Sorry to be cheeky, just tearing my hair out!

email (option): nicholas1066@o2.co.uk

Nicholas Enfield forks are a sod because of the left and right hand threads in the links. But this is how I do it(from memory). Assemble first the steering stem into the frame with the top handlebar clip. At this point you can near enough adjust the head race bearings. Put the rubber doughnut buffers on if you're fitting them
Put the spring onto the forks.
Now screw the bottom two spindles into the left side lower link, the square on the end should only just poke through. Hold the forks up with one hand and push the two spindles through fork and stem. Now offer up the right link and by equal turns on the squares you can draw the links together. Now get the top of the spring in place and attend to the top links by the same method of having both spindles in one link. Some straining against the spring will be required. Then the side check springs if you have them. All sounds easier than it is I know.

Things to have ready beforehand:- A friend, a piece of cardboard to go between spring and headstock to protect the paint and a swear box.

Ron

Photobucket

These are from a different model with bigger spindles but near enough the same.

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

When I was putting the forks together on my 16H the spring was up against the head stock, but as soon as it was assembled it was clear from it without having any weigh on it. Does this mean my spring is shorter or weaker..?

Photobucket

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

My Matchless was the same, frightened me to death, I spent almost a week messing about with them, but when the wheels were on and the engine was back in, the forks and spring sat perfectly.

Bill, I've noticed that a G3 spring is very close to the headstock. It seems it will easily make contact if you were to get the front wheel any where near airborne.

Dave if when fully assembled and standing on the ground, your fork links are facing up hill.....Then yes! I'd say my 16H spring is a bit short (compressed with age). But easier to assemble. But I have got a chair hanging on it. Ron

Photobucket

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Nieuwe pagina 1