Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
M20 shutdown procedure

I'd be curious to know what the official wartime procedure was for shutting down an M20. The manuals have clear starting steps but nothing about how to kill the bike.

Were kill switches installed at the factory or did they stall the bikes out when they got to their destination? Doesn't seem practical to turn off the fuel supply and let the system run dry as it would be a waste of fuel, would still require a minute to stay with the bike, and the bike would have to be tickled again when needed which wouldn't be as reliable as it sitting primed and ready to go.

email (option): dgordon4@austin.rr.com

Re: M20 shutdown procedure

De-compressor! Hello!

well that makes two of us!!!! David asked me and I couldnt recall either. I think its an age thing. oops

email (option): andrew.honychurch@btinternet.com

douglas
De-compressor! Hello!

email (option): chris@classicbikebooks.com

You would have thought a mag kill button would be best but you just pull the decompressor and let it chug to a halt, so doesn't really need a book on it. Turning the petrol off would also be a good idea before walking away from the bike, but maybe not practical during war.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Or you can just put your hand over the carb..or retard it and then snap the throttle open...Ian

... or just pull to a stop, hold the front brake tight and drop the clutch spitting just a tiny bit of gravel on the fellow behind you.

email (option): chris@classicbikebooks.com

always turn the petrol off whenever you leave the bike even for a minute

roger
always turn the petrol off whenever you leave the bike even for a minute

And the reason is ...... ?

email (option): seadog1968@hotmail.com

Its better than having to call the Fire Brigade,

I do shut off the fuel when parking the bike. Figure that is safest with a gravity fed system even if there aren't any visible leaks.

Once warmed up and idling smoothly, I can set the bike on the rear stand and pull the decompressor lever all the way. The bike will settle down to a very slow thump, thump, thump with the front tyre slightly bouncing but it won't die. Guess it needs a little more adjustment.

Stalling it out is the easiest and fastest kill method I've used. I was just curious what the official procedure was since nothing is documented in any wartime manual that I've seen.

email (option): dgordon4@austin.rr.com

"It's a thin line between bravery and foolhardiness" but the line between a properly adjusted decompressor and one which will either keep the exhaust valve open or will not open it fully is even thinner. Good luck.

email (option): jonny.rudge@verizon.net

David Gordon
I do shut off the fuel when parking the bike. Figure that is safest with a gravity fed system even if there aren't any visible leaks.

A friend was at a rally a couple of weeks back and his 1950's Triumph had to have fuel drained from the sump after a tap was left on. Fortunately they found the fuel while diagnosing/sorting a failure to start - slipping clutch wouldn't turn the engine over, not helped by an excess of liquid in the bottom end no doubt.

email (option): braunz@paradise.net.nz

Of course, this can only happen in an overhead valve situation. It can't happen in a side-valve engine since fuel does not flow upward. It's one of the "benefits" of side-valve engines.

email (option): jonny.rudge@verizon.net

Ah ok, I never thought of that, good point John

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

using the decompressor lever to stop any engine petrol or diesel wouldnt it do damage?

email (option): mrsbfuller@hotmail.co.uk

Not really Barry..At slow engine speeds (tickover) there is no mechanical risk and holding the valve off the seat merely exposes the valve and seat to what they get every time the valve opens and closes..Ian

Nieuwe pagina 1