Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fuel tank internal sealant

Hi All

I have done a forum search but couldn't find it, the inside sealant on my tank is causing fuel starvation issues by blocking pipes as large and small chunks are parting company with the tank, I think some has got into the fuel lines or the carb, the bowl fills quickly when tickeled but it seems no fuel is getting to the carb.
I'm going to go throug the whole system, including taking the tank off and cleaning it out, could someone recommend a good liquid sealant to pour in it please, (if of course I need to do it, I probably do as over the winter I dont ride the BSA much and the bare metal might not like being left out of fuel)

Thanks, hope you are all well..

Re: Fuel tank internal sealant

Hi Kit,

I had just read this tech article by Ian Potter of Tank Care Products and the kit and process he describes sounds good; I'm sure there are many other stripping and sealing kits around doing similar good things.

Why I thought of you though is that in addition to sealing the tank, he talks about which products to use to dissolve various different types of old sealants - have a look:

http://www.realclassic.co.uk/techfiles/tank_cleaning_and_sealing.html

I have used the old nuts & bolts and endless shaking method, which is no fun at all - I guess using some of one of the solvents mentioned first will greatly reduce the need to go through that nightmare!

Chris

email (option): chris@classicbikebooks.com

Too many people are quick to seal their tanks unnecessarily. Surface rust internally means nothing and fuel in the tank will prevent it advancing.I have no sympathy.

douglas
Too many people are quick to seal their tanks unnecessarily. Surface rust internally means nothing and fuel in the tank will prevent it advancing.I have no sympathy.

I agree a bare tank is the best way to go - but I have a lot of sympathy for someone trying to clean out a deteriorating sealer - one of the worst jobs in motorcycle maintenance!

email (option): chris@classicbikebooks.com

FYI, Caswell electroplating in North America sells a new style epoxy sealer that is supposed to be completely resistant to alcohol in fuels. Fibreglass tanks are suffering from increased alcohol in fuels and this is supposed to be the cure.
The older (Kream) style sealers are the ones being affected by new fuels- and flaking and peeling are the result.
I can see the need for sealing severely rusted tanks, that may be even porous to the point of leaking, or fiberglass, but why not a flush with a phosphoric acid wash to deal with minor surface rust? Would remove any risk of sealer flaking out.

email (option): vinver@ns.sympatico.ca

Nieuwe pagina 1