Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
help with steering damper

Hi can anyone help with a steering damper
i just got one to put on my wm20 can not get the rod through just hitting the link bolt? what missing? and what order do it go together? thanks for any help keith.

email (option): keithsprague@hotmail.co.uk

Re: help with steering damper

Hi Kieth..If you have a damper rod with the knob attached it is for a telescopic fork model. On a girder fork model the fork link bolt must be removed, the rod inserted from underneath and the link bolt replaced. The damper rod is a bigger diameter at the lower end and has a slot machined through it to allow the link bolt to pass through it. After the rod is fitted the damper knob and a thackeray washer are fitted to the upper end.
Tele fork damper rods are 5/16" diameter..girder fork rods 3/8" diameter and the knobs themselves are a different shape....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Hi Ian thanks for the info yes i got the telescopic
forks one!! great another mistake well on the look out for the right steering damper don't suppose you know anyone who may have one for sale? thanks keith.

email (option): keithsprague@hotmail.co.uk

Hi Kieth...I may be able to sort you out with some, or all, of the correct parts. You need the damper knob, damper rod, friction discs x2, damper star washer, damper thackeray washer,damper splined plate and the lower plate that attaches to the frame...mail me off forum...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I have a question re: mounting to the frame.
I am missing the stud on the frame (all I had was a spider nest in there!). I now have all the damper parts , just need to fix it to the frame, is it just a plain stud , lockwasher and nut, fixed solid or does the lower plate float a bit on the mounting?
Vince

email (option): vinver@ns.sympatico.ca

Hi Vince..The plate is locked in position with a stud, nut and washer. The plate has a slightly elongated hole in it but this is just to allow for dimensional variations between the centers of the frame stud and steering head...Ian

Nieuwe pagina 1