Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Valve seat cutter

Does anyone know wher I can get a valve seat cutter from? 90°, 1 7/8in or whatever will work for my M20 and B31. I've looked everywhere and no luck

now why wont the bloody picture appear???

here's a link instead

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n120/pcomley/valveseatcutter.jpg

cheers
Pete

email (option): petercomley@web.de

Re: Valve seat cutter

Low budget valve seat cutter, made in Iceland. It works very well.

Photobucket

Photobucket

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Hi, yes it is mine, item number 330616352443 the Sykes one is slightly better for the home mechanic because you don't have to have an area the size of the titanic to store it, plus the Black and Decker one I just sold you end up paying more for what is essentially a special "drill" Parts are available from either autojumbles as I think the stones are the same as the B+D one, or they are available from Sykes or Fondera

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

I've just had a Norton Commando head reconditioned. The engineer commented on how much was taken off the valve seats, the valves were quite sunken and the seats needed replacing. This was my doing 30 years ago with a valve cutter on a drill. I wasn't cutting the seat a thou of an inch I can tell you
I would suggest taking it to a professional if you're not sure what you're doing.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Thanks Rick!
I have half a dozen or so heads that need looking at so I don't mind investing a bit in the right tools and thank God I do have someone to show me the ropes before I bugger them ALL up!
Cheers
Pete

hi,as horror says ,hand job only,slowly slowly catch a monkey,cheers rick

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

"Hand job" what are you suggesting???

The grinder type as opposed to the toothed cutters has the advantage of being able to cut hardened seats, unless you buy the very expensive carbide tipped cutters they are cheaper than buying replacement tips as the stones range in price from £9 to £26 dependant on the machine and the size of the stones, you can re-profile the stones a good few times before you have to throw them away and you can quickly vary the angle of the stone to cut the relief and throat angles, in effect you can cut all three angles of the seat.
There are various types of valve seat cutters, the first and cheapest types are the multi tooth cutters that are usually Indian made these days, then there are the the Neway type that are like the multi tooth cutters but the tips are titanium nitrided making them tougher, but these are very expensive and not that versatile, then you go onto the grinder types such as Kwikway and the very similar Black and Decker which have a square drive type drill powering them, my Sykes Pickavant one fits into this category except you use a household drill rather than a special drill to power them. There is also another type called the Peg 8 and 10 machines which work on the same principle apart from the move eccentrically round the seat, this is the type I use, it is a good compromise between the garage type tools and the professional machine tool shop types, but they are very expensive costing over £2000 new by the time you have a good range of valve guide pilots and stones .
Than you move onto the top of the range types such as the Serdi micro and the super expensive Serdi machine driven ones which start at around £20,000 for a good second hand one!!! These machines can cut either the 45 degree angle or all three angles at once but the tiny carbide cutters cost at least £90 just for the tip. I used a smaller manual type originally before I bought the Peg 10 and the basic machine cost £400, each pilot cost around £90 + vat and each cutter about the same, it was a good machine, but it took too long to be cost effective and each time you wanted to cut a different bikes valve seat you had to buy another tip at £90 +vat!!!
I'm not trying to sell you my machine, but if you want to know the best method for your pocket please ring me on 07770 876479 anytime

hi dave,i think im on the wrong song sheet here,does your machine cut the seats in the cylinder block or the ones on the poppet valves themselves? i was under the impression that he needed to reface the cylinder seats please enlighten me,oh by the way im off to mr owens in the morning to get that project cheers rick

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

Hi Dave
Thanks for the detailed info. I have a bette iea what I should be looking for now!
Cheers
Pete

rick
hi dave,i think im on the wrong song sheet here,does your machine cut the seats in the cylinder block or the ones on the poppet valves themselves? i was under the impression that he needed to reface the cylinder seats please enlighten me,oh by the way im off to mr owens in the morning to get that project cheers rick

HI Rick, it grinds the seat on the head/barrel, not the valve itself for that you'd need either a Wolf or a Black and Decker valvemaster

Nieuwe pagina 1