Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
electronic regulators ?

Hi guys, has anybody experience with electronic regulators? I have always problems with the indian mcr2 replicas. is conversion to electronic black box possible? greetings jarek

email (option): jarek@jareksgarage.de

Re: electronic regulators ?

A modern unit is very simple to instal.

I use the Dyno-Tec from Sean Hawker (it was recommended by Ian Wright).

http://www.hawkerelectrical.co.uk/regulators-c-23.html

It's been trouble-free so far.

The seller is always at the UK shows and not afraid to show his face and talk to customers.

I went modern a couple of years ago, even went 12v, no problems at all.

email (option): jimstott51@virginmedia.com

I've been using a DVR2 from Dynamoregulators for a few years and it is doing well. Easy to fit and goes in the old box so apart from the fact that it works there's no obvious visual deviation from original.

Cheers
Pete

email (option): petercomley@web.de

Hi Jarek

I have had electronic regulators on other bikes (years ago) but upon the recommendation of Ian and his good experience, I purchased a hawker electronic unit

I have used this for 2 years now with no problems and rode this weekend from Goodwood Revival all of the way with lights on (it was dark very quickly sunday evening)it performed very well

I run with a halogen front light and an LED rear. I must however, get my headlight rim re-silvered.

It will finally be your choice jarek, a fine balance of originality and prcticality, in my case, practicality won as i like to ride the bike as much
as possible

Just make sure your wiring harmess and dynamo are in equally good condition or the switch will not be worthwhile

Best Regards

JO'B

email (option): jonnyob1@googlemail.com

thanks a lot for the tipps. i will do this and will never again have trouble with regulators. greetings jarek

email (option): jarek@jareksgarage.de

Like John I also have an LED unit on the rear end and I use a 20w halogen pilot light (a legal requirement in Germany to use the headlight during the day but the 20W bulb is more than bright enough) and a halogen headlight when it get dark. So far the battery has never run down using the elctronic regulator. the investment in the halogen and LEDs is well worth it.

Cheers
Pete

email (option): petercomley@web.de

I have one of Sean Hawkers, a DVR and another type. All fit into the empty case.

Keep the original box and external wire fittings (the four split connectors, the plate and two mounting screws).
Destroy the innards (usually a hacksaw is required) leaving a flat surface and then clean up the inside terminals.

You will have to drill two additional holes through the base, to mount the electronic reg ( but you don't see them when the reg is mounted). I think sean hawker's unit came with suitable bolts.
Check the original cover fits over the new regulator, before drilling, without fouling the wires or the inside terminals (i.e. they are insulated from the metal cover).

Solder the electronic reg wires to the correct terminals inside the case. All the ones I have done have had really clear instructions on which colour is what and the original case has the first letter of where it goes (Ammeter, Dynamo, Earth, Field) stamped underneath.

Put the metal cover back on and remount with the original wiring. It should be invisible and look original. If nutters are looking inside your regulator for originality and peering into your rear light for the LED; then they should have better things to do ....

I have also seen regs mounted inside toolboxes. i.e. bolted to the box, and they seem perfectly happy.

I found that the electronic (on 6v) version sometimes takes a second to register charge on the ammeter (when you rev).

email (option): madoc500@hotmail.com

Electronic regultors are fine but you must fit a battery. If the battery shorts out that can destroy your regulator if you don't fit a fuse. Also you can not run with lights with the battery dosconnected.

Regards,
Leon

email (option): leonhop3@planet.nl

Nieuwe pagina 1