Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Magdyno puller lost..

Can anybody help me to find my puller for my magdyno gear, I recently received it in the mail and now when I need it, can't find it. GRRR, frustrating. Seems like every step I take is through quicksand.. slow progress.
More relevant however, is shimming of the magdyno to ensure correct gear mesh. I have a tear-off type multi layered base shim, just wondering how to check gear mesh, and how many shims may be needed?
Did the magdyno originally come with shims, or is it to compensate for wear in the baseplate?
I am fitting an alternate rebuilt magdyno unit from what was on the bike.
Hints, tips on magdyno fitting welcomed!
Vince

email (option): vinver@ns.sympatico.ca

Re: Magdyno puller lost..

i see you have got a simlar gremlin in you garage as i have he hides thing when you want them and put them back right in the place where they should have been dont look for it and he will get fedup and he will put it back

Hi Vince,

I have a couple of those little gems. At the moment, they are $15.00 each. Plus postage fo course.

I also have clutch pullers, and of course the headstock bearing remover tool, thread repair kits etc.

Let me know what you need.

Cheers,

Robb

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

Hi Vince..The shims were there to account for production tolerances in the mag body and crankcases. Sometimes they are required, sometimes not.I can't give you a figure for the amount of backlash between the mag gear and the intermediate gear as I just do it by 'feel'. Hold the intermediate gear in position and feel for the play between the two gears. It should be visible but minimal. The main thing is not to have them too tightly meshed and no clearance...this 'whines' when running and loads up the drive end bearing in the mag.
Obviously make all checks with the mag straps fully tightened and the magdyno as square as possible on its platform. The amount of shimming required, if at all, is usually minimal..often a .005" shim is too much...you just have to 'suck it and see'.
Before fitting the magneto and setting the timing lap the drive gear to the magneto armature taper with some fine grinding past. The taper works as a 'lock' when you initially tap home the gear and if it is a really good fit it is less inclined to move during final tightening of the mag drive gear nut.
Don't forget to set the timing with the ignition set in the fully advanced position on the handlebar lever.
Personally I like to time them with the head off..it is far more accurate in my experience and easier to set up and check.
Always check everything after making adjustments to be sure nothing has moved during setting. This does happen and it can be a 'patience test' to get it right sometimes. The plus side is you get a lot of practice!
Set the contact breaker gap as well before fitting the mag..it is easier on the bench than on the bike. Correct setting is .012" fully open...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

hi vincent,have a look in the mag-dyno gear thats the last place you put it cheers rick

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

I use a strip of (news)paper between the gears; too much play: you can pull it out easily. Not enough play: the paper is cut between the gears. OK: it comes out unharmed when you turn the gears.
Worked always fine for me, like when setting up the gear train on my Myford lathe...

email (option): viaconsu # planet dot nl

Thanks all, for the tips. No it isn't in the gear, I have to remove the old unit to fit the new one, and I haven't done that yet. All loosened and ready to go , just need the %^^# puller.
I'll try the newspaper trick, I use that method for other gear meshes and works well.
Also, I took the inspection plug out of the cover, but will the gear come out through the hole or do I neeed to remove the timing cover if I want to lap in the gear??

Hi Vince...Annoyingly, the gear won't fit through the hole so the cover has to be removed..Personally I don't like doing the timing through that hole..I find it fiddly and it's impossible to see anything such as gear mesh. No doubt some people love it though!...Ian

Re: Magdyno puller lost.. NOW FOUND!

There it was, in the box with the rebuilt mag! Gear has been pulled and old mag removed, looks to be in solid shape, I will likely have it rebuilt and reinstalled later. It did have a pair of brass shims fitted underneath, so I guess I'll have to remove the timing cover anyway and check on the mesh before attempting to bolt down the new magdyno.
Is there a seal behind the magdyno gear? I would hope so, and will check the parts book and replace if possible.
Thanks to Ian and all for your help,
Vince

Re: Magdyno puller lost.. NOW FOUND!

Hi Vince, There is a seal behind the mag drive gear. As the bikes pre dated sprung lip seals they were originally fitted with an unsprung rubber/fibre effort which is not too effective. There is a modern seal that has all the essential dimensions and you should be able to readily source one from a bearing suppliers or similar...Ian

Nieuwe pagina 1