Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
engine shaft pinion removal

I dont have an extractor that is small enough with flat enough legs to remove the engine shaft pinion. Anyone got a cheat for this? or can point me towards a suitable extractor? Didnt really want to have to make one thx Andrew

email (option): andrew.honychurch@btinternet.com

Re: engine shaft pinion removal

In lieu of an extractor, I removed the drive side Karter half and then placed the timing side Karter on angled frame leaving the flywheels free before using a raw hide mallet to force the shaft through the pinion gear while the weight of the flywheel pulls it down. Had some tough rusted gears removed that way. But then, I had spare flywheels to replace if my hitting damaged the shaft. So far no problems. There was a great extractor tool used by the REME, but I could not locate it. Soaking the gear is of course necessary prior to this method.

email (option): unpob@yahoo.com

thanks Henri. Very kind of you to reply Actually, I did exactly that! I turned the engine on its side and let the weight of the crank do its stuff with a little tap from a raw hide mallet it went very easily. Great minds think alike! Now I am thinking about whether to vapour blast the two crankcases. I have someone about 1km from where I live who does it, but I dont want to have to pull out all the cam pinion shaft and cam followers really. Anyone got any view on cleaning crankcases?

Used a pneumatic angled drill with a cushion of 1 1/2 inches backer on which a 3 inches 3M Scotchpad disk is used to lightly rev over the surfaces. The wider surface of the pad permits it to bend and apply control pressure for the cleaning in flat and tough to get areas. Just my system, shade tree mech @ work. Those pads are sold in different abrasive grades.

email (option): unpob@yahoo.com

Blasting is the only way to achieve a 'new' look if that is what you want..I have tried most if not all other methods and they just don't produce the result. Also, and perhaps more importantly, the inside is spotless as well after blasting...and you won't access that any other way.
However, you will need to strip all fixed fittings from the cases prior to blasting. I blast all the internal components as well when rebuilding an engine...I like it spotless and looking good..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

thanks Henri and Ian. I will take another look at the job today and make a decision. As I have already split the crancases I sort of feel I am 95% the way to blasting it. Will report back in due course.

Nieuwe pagina 1