Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
wheel lacing

Hi,
Just trying to figure out how to lace my front wheel. I was wondering if there is a specific side of the rim when lacing to match up with the hub either brake or speedo side or doesn't it matter. If anyone has a bit of a step by step instruction or tips it would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

Mike

email (option): jamik@westnet.com.au

Re: wheel lacing

The M20 front hub is not symmetric, so it certainly matters! If you put a spoke with a nipple through one of the holes of the rim, you will notice that either it points to a "big radius" in the middle of the rim, or it will point to a "small radius". Well, the spokes pointing o the "big radius" are the ones for the drum side...

You should also know that there are different lacing patterns. They are called "X2", "X3, X4", or "cross 2", "cross 3", "cross 4". This cross number means the number of spokes that a given spoke will cross on its way from the rim to the hub. The drum side is very often X2, the speedo side is very often X3. If you try using another lacing pattern you will notice that the spoke lengths and the angles in which the holes are punched in the dimples of the rim are completely different!

Photobucket

Jan

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

Thanks Jan for the info it is very much appreciated. Gives me a better idea of the setup.
Cheers,
Mike

email (option): jamik@westnet.com.au

This is the lacing pattern from the parts list:
Lacing pattern front

And this is the jig I made from a piece of 18mm MDF, with a central hole for the front axle and concentric circles for 18" and 19" rims:

Lacing jig 3

Lacing jig 2

Hope this helps!
Hans

email (option): viaconsu # planet dot nl

Another thing to watch: the direction of the dimples in the rim of non-symetrical wheels, like the M20 front wheel. Take two spokes with nipples and insert and press them in adjacent holes. One will stick out more than the other, indicating the brake drum side!

email (option): viaconsu # planet dot nl

Does someone have the lacing for a Royal Enfield WD/C by chance I laced it the logical way where all holes line up and the spokes tighten, but that doesn't make it the correct way.
THanks

email (option): v8zspeed@yahoo.com

Jesse
Does someone have the lacing for a Royal Enfield WD/C by chance I laced it the logical way where all holes line up and the spokes tighten, but that doesn't make it the correct way.
THanks

Jesse,

The WD/C front wheel is X3 on both sides.

Jan

Thanks, that's what I thought. You wouldn't happen to know the diameter of the hub. I was looking at the parts list for both the C and the CO. They have different part numbers for the hubs and different spoke lenghts. So I am assuming the hubs are slightly different lengths. The bike came with a hub, rim and spokes. I tried to lace it but the spokes don't fit right. So I measured them. Both sets are too long for either a C or a CO. The long spokes I have are 9 1/8" and the shorter are about 7 3/4". Both sets when laced properly are way too long. The C parts manual calls for 8 7/8" and 7 5/8".
The Co parts manual calls for 8 3/8" and 6 1/2". So I would almost think I have the CO hub with how much extra spoke I have.

Hi Jesse,

The hubs on the WD/C and WD/CO are identical. The weird thing is that the WD/CO has X3 - X2 lacing, whereas the WD/C has X3 - X3. This explains the difference in spoke lengths for the short spokes (7 5/8 for the C, 6 1/2 for the CO). I can't explain why the long spokes were different though... Was it a typo in one of the books...?

Your spokes seem to be slightly longer than the WD/C spokes. If I remember well, spoke lengths should be measured on the inner side, not on the outside. Did you measure the overall length? That could explain why your spokes appear to be a little bit (1/8, 1/4) too long...

Cheers,
Jan

hi jan,i saw some wm3 rims at a jumble,they were new and 40 hole 19'',is the punching standard or is it particular to a certain hub,ie would any 40 hole rim fit a wdm20 hub?i hope thats clear cheers rick

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

Hi Rick,

The punching is definitely not standard! You should put a spoke with a nipple in these holes and look where the spoke is pointing to. There should be a noticeable difference between the spokes on the left hand side and the spokes on the right hand side, as the WM20 hub has a brake drum flange on one side and a small flange on the other side. Many post war rims have symmetrical holes for the full width hubs.

The angle in the other plane is also important: this one is given by the width of the hub, combined with the offset.

In other words, it's quite dangerous to buy "naked" rims from an autojumble...

Jan

Jan. thanks. i measured by the inside. the short are correct 7 5/8. the long measure 9". i am thinking the c parts book is just a little fuzzy. the co and hitchcocks shows 8 3/8. so the 9" is way too long. So time for a different set.
thanks Jesse

So they are 9" when they should be 8" 7/8... Worth a try?

Jan

If the c and co are the same, then i am thinking the should be 8 3/8.

I've just checked this, and 8 7/8 is the length for a X4 lacing pattern. A bit weird, because for as far as I know, the WD/C used X3 - X3, not X4 - X3...

That was the only way i could get the 9" to work. but they debt really work properly. the x3 lined up right but way too long.

Nieuwe pagina 1