Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
selector dogs????

Hi, a few days ago, Matty Leahy gave me a a very interesting advice on this site to shim the shafts in my gearbox. But it's not very clear for me, it's the language.
'make sure when the box is assembled that the selector dogs sit centrally between the gears in neutral' Sorry, I can not translate this in the Dutch language. What is a 'selector dog'(I can't find it in a dictionary or in Russell catalogue)
Another question: I've got an old worm 'gear control shaft with pegs and forks'. I would like to remove the forks on the shaft. How can I remove the pegs? (Is there some screw thread on the pegs?)
BSA regards from Belgium,
Eric

email (option): ericvangils@skynet.be

Re: selector dogs????

if you think of a castlelated nut a large one this will engage into another one there maybe less castlelated bit ie 2 or 4 this is where you have to get it right both dogs at a simlar speed to engage without a crunch or another idea is put your fingers pointing at each other you have to move one hand to engage them together this it how a dog works

Hi Eric..The selector dog is the piece that the forked end of the selector fork fits into. When the gearbox is set in top (fourth) gear the selector fork (and dog) on the layshaft should lie between first and second gear on the layshaft with an equal gap on both sides. The pins in the selector fork spindle are a press fit and can be removed with a hammer and punch...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Hi Eric . I understand your confusion with the english use of the word 'dog' in this context . This simply means the 'teeth' of the sliding gears, which are straight cut , and engage at the correct revoliving speed without any syncronising , rather like a dog (the animal) biting into something .

email (option): leifevans75@yahoo.co.uk

Thanks everybody for the reply. Now it's very clear for me. THANKS. But it is a very strange word for me. I can't translate in in the Duch language. There are a lot of 'dogs'(animals) in Belgium but there aren't any 'selector dogs' Thanks
Eric

email (option): ericvangils@skynet.be

you go to a dog show and a dog come up to you and you take it home he has selected you as his new owner so he must be a selector dog

The term 'dog' in the context of 'selector dog' or 'dog clutch' is a descriptive term that originates literally from the dogs (canine) ability to grip and hold..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

If you must select a dog, make it a Kelpie!

Eric
Thanks everybody for the reply. Now it's very clear for me. THANKS. But it is a very strange word for me. I can't translate in in the Duch language. There are a lot of 'dogs'(animals) in Belgium but there aren't any 'selector dogs' Thanks
Eric

Hello Eric,

To be honest, I wouldn't know how to translate this one either... The best word that I can think of is "meenemer". The problem is that the Dutch language is rather "poor" when we start talking about technical/mechanical subjects...

Jan

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1