Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hi/Lo beams

My headlamp reflector came fitted with the headlamp bulb retainer as part of the reflector- as with the pilot bulb.
Can I bother to try and make it into a high- lo beam unit or just find a different later type reflector to
wire in a dipper switch? What bulb do I use with 2-filaments?
The rubber type wire is here, rebuilt generator, Dyno-tec regulator- I should be good to go with wiring it up. Need a small racing-bicycle tube thoigh.
Can find one locally.
Cheers, Vince

email (option): vinver@ns.sympatico.ca

Re: Hi/Lo beams

Vince, I've never seen a single filament bulb on a motorcycle. Even the wartime WD bulbs had two, one as a spare. It should have two female holders for the power on the rear of the adjusting headlamp part and one common earth connection on the holder.

Does yours have offset bayonet pins ?

A photo of what you've got would be handy.

I do have a dip function but truth to tell, using it at night doesn't seem to make much difference.

rik when you say 2 do you mean the bulb had 2 filiments in it but only one was used when one blew you just connected to the other one or am i miss understanding what you are saying i had a 1949 worsley that both headlights worked on main beam but when dipped the nearside one went out as it was a single filiment bulb

Yes Roger, that's what the literature indicates, the connections had to be manually swapped in the event of failure.

I deliberately said 'motorcycle headlamp' because car units can have different systems.

I expect that someone will tell me that OECs did as well.

some of the early car headlamps were manually dipped by the means of a solenoid (what a damn stupid way to do it!!) it could be the reflector for one of these.

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Nieuwe pagina 1