Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rear stand strength

Another stupid question, I've taken the bike off the makeshift jig I made and fitted the rear stand and front wheel (without tyre, and the wheel hasn't been refurbished yet).

I've spent so much time on this bike, I would be devastated if it fell over in the garage.

Is the rear stand renowned for it's reliability? I've fitted new bolts, but the way the weight is transferred through the stand, it looks like an awful lot of weight is being put on these bolts.

Or should I stop worrying?!!

email (option): Adh325@hotmail.com

Re: Rear stand strength

Hi Andy..The stand itself is strong and structural failure very rare. However, limit of movement of the stand is goverened in both the raised and lowered positions by 'stops' on the frame. These stops and the slots they fit into on the stand wear.
When the stand is in the lowered position this allows the stand to move too far forward beyond the vertical position, putting excessive load on the pivot bolts instead of transferring the weight of the bike to the stand legs.
When the stand is in the lowered position and against the frame stops it should only be about 5 degrees past the vertical position. If it is more than this the stops should be built up with weld and filed back to produce the required angle.
When the stand is in the raised position, if the stops are worn, the stand will come up too high and contact the inside edge of the brake operating arm on the rear brake plate. Again, the stops should be built up and refiled until sufficient clearance is obtained if this is happening...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thanks for the reply.

How does this look? Nothing was badly rusted before I started. I guess when I fit the front tyre it might add another degree or so.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

email (option): Adh325@hotmail.com

Hi Andy,

Amen to what Ian has to say. There is one more factor to consider though.

It's not the stand nor the bolts. It's the stand lugs on the frame. If there are lateral forces, they have a tendancy to break. The "eye" of that is brazed on. Not that that is weak, but the lateral forces of operating the kick starter will put off center of gravity.

Cheers

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

Hi Andy

I did break a rear stand into 3 pieces once, I pulled into a petrol station in Italy, heaved the bike onto the rear stand and the bike just keeled over. But to be fair the bike was very heavily laden and I've never heard of another one breaking.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

Hi Andy...The angle of the stand in your photo looks reasonable...However, the angle will depend on whether you have the front of the bike at the right hieght. As you lift the bike it steepens the stand angle. Set the bike up with the lower frame rails parallel to the ground...if the angle is then any more than it is now the stops will need some attention. Bear in mind my comments regarding the raised position of the stand as well..The stand pivot is a weak point in the design of the M20 and prone to rapid wear. I never use mine when kickstarting the bike or when it is heavily loaded with camping gear (unless I have a puncture). I put the bike on the stand when carrying out maintenace tasks, other than that I always use the field stand....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Hi rob
When does the book of your italian adventure go to print

:-D

Job

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1