Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A couple photos for the Enfield fans

I was lent today a Home Guard photo, thought to be late wartime, on either end of the line up were these Enfields, so I thought I'd share them with you.
Regards Gary

Photobucket

Photobucket

Re: A couple photos for the Enfield fans

its good to see some royal enfields i wish i could get hold of a black out light for my one when i can work out to put photos on this website then you can see the one i own. i would like to know what the serial number should be on the tank because the frame number is 12785 and the engine number is 17131.
cheers michael

email (option): michael.rutland@homail.co.uk

Nice one Gary! It is nice to see some original RE pictures. Both these bikes come from an early contract of 5000 bikes in 1941. I'd say the picture was early also? judging by the new look of the bikes and pulp helmets and all.
Michael your CO frame number is from contract C13869.
Nearly 2/3rds through that batch of 3000 bikes in 1942. I calculate your serial number to be C4942485. Strangely your engine appears to come from the same contract as my own CO which was for the RAF (1942/3) so was probably fitted during a civilian rebuild?
Until you work out how to post pictures (it took me a long time) You can email some to me or Henk if you like. We can post them for you.

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I could be wrong but it looks like Leicestershire cap badge but I guess these were signalers, with the aldis lamps standing there & cross flags on the sleeves of the uniforms (early uniforms too).

TTJohn

email (option): Jomichael@aol.com

@ Gary:

Thank you very much for posting these pictures here! Nice clear shots with some interesting details!

The bikes are #4516 (C4609116) and #4569 (C4609169). These motorcycles left the factory in late July 1942, and both come from the first WD/CO contract (C/11081). Interesting to see that they both have a Dunlop saddle (which is correct: the parts catalogue for this contract shows both the old Terry seat and the rubber Dunlop saddle), they do already have the "standardised Lucas horn) (the first bikes from this contract still had the old Clearhooters horn), and the rectangular toolbox that was fitted under the saddle of the very early contract C/11081 bikes is no longer fitted... The pillion seat which should have been the camden type according to the parts book is in fact one of the later swiveling types.

@ Michael: your frame #12785 should indeed have census number C4942485, as Ron had already calculated. But I know from my register that the engine number that you quoted is indeed the "engine number", that is the number that can be found under the magneto base (drive side of the engine). The "duplicated frame number" on that engine (the number under the cylinder base) is a number from contract C/12425, and left the factory in January 1944.

Hope this helps!
Cheers,
Jan

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

The images look to be of a late-autumn or winter scene and bearing in mind the amount of wear on those hard front tyres and the fuel restrictions applying to Home Guard use, I'd suspect late 1943.

Interesting to see the Tyre Pressures shown on the guards. Not a common thing on motorcycles in wartime service.

Nice photos !!

Job

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1