Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
triumph clutch conversion kit

Hello All,

My WM20 project is heating up. I need to sort out my clutch. A previous owner had bodged the clutch and left some parts out. So... I'm in need of a new clutch and thought why not replace the hard to find BSA plates with the more common and reliable Triumph set up?

So, anyone have a source for a full kit, adapter, basket, triumph clutch?

thanks!

Kevin

Re: triumph clutch conversion kit

Hi Kevin,

I hope an answer comes as I am hoping to replace my M20 clutch (1945). The necessary part numbers may already be documented in parts lists. If someone could call out the part numbers or point to the list, that would be great.

cheers, Scott

My Beezer single spring clutch works OK, but in future I'd sure like to replace it too.

Just imagine a silky smooth take off from a stop.

I know a few guys have done it. Please share ok?

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

Triumph parts are no the problem - its the adapter thats needed to mount the triumph clutch on the bsa shaft

I will ask here at netley marsh autojumble, lots of forum people here tomoro & saturday

Jo'b

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Thanks for the replies, guys. I found a thread on the Britbike forum on this issue. The thread was actually for Gold Stars, but unless I am mistaken, should apply with our old lumps as well.

Here's a link:http://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6753

Evidently, the RGS adapter that was used on the last of the pre-units is a common adapter, but has some shortcomings. The Hayward adapter discussed in the above thread appears to work. Perhaps someone in the UK would ring up this Tony Hayward chap and ask him about applicability? Any takers, our bretheren across the pond?

From my 'Google Fest' on the subject, the Triumph 4 spring clutch is a good due to it's cheap and cheerful qualities.

Now, if I can just figure out a good seal to go in there too, I'll be good to go.

Kevin

its the non cush triumph 4 spring thats a good and easy relacement..same as the bsa a10 one.
the only issue is that a spacer needs to be made for the m20 cush drive to align the engine sprocket to the clutch chainwheel.

email (option): chris.astinbarker@btinternet.com

Kidderminster motorcycles now supply a BSA/Triumph clutch mainshaft adapter ready modified, removing the requirement for an alteration to the spacer behind the shock absorber assy. to adjust alignment....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Hi all

It seems kidderminster will only supply as a complete clutch assembly- £270

Just spoken on the phone with them

Disapointing, especially if you have a complete clutch already

:-(

Job

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

I know people who have bought the adapter only from Kidderminster...In fact a friend bought two off them at Netley. Their adapter is modified in as much as the taper diameter has been increased, so it is not necessary to alter the spacer behind the engine shock absorber assembly to adjust alignment..but ensure you tell them the application when enquiring or you will get the 'standard' BSA/Triumph adapter. The correct mainshaft nut and washer for fitting the Triumph clutch to a BSA will also be needed. Also get the longer but lighter clutch springs for a nice light clutch action...Ian

Hi Ian

I can only go on what they told me this morning as I wanted them to bring an adapter to kempton Park this saturday

Maybe it depends on who you talk to !!!

JO'B

email (option): jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Hey L.A.Kevin,

What models and years are these Triumph clutches fitted?

Thanks

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

Hi Robb..Any of the 650 pre unit twin clutches are OK..Ian

Hey Ian,

Thanks so much for the great info.

Kevin

Nieuwe pagina 1