Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Seat Covering and springs.

Having given up on making my own seat cover, I bought a Wassell universal replacement which fits well and wasn't too expensive.
Was the original saddle a Lycett or Terry , or BSA's own manufacture? And what was the original colour/material of the saddle?
I may leave it black, or try one of the vinyl spray dyes if I can get brown or green if possible.
Second part, I have long springs on the saddle, coupled to studs on the bottom without any spacers. They seem original, but pics of later BSAs of 1943 era seem to have different seat mountings- with the long hex stud installed? What's the difference?
Vince

email (option): vinver@ns.sympatico.ca

Re: Seat Covering and springs.

Hi Vince..Seat coverings were black for all years. Most contracts list at least two suppliers for saddles, sometimes three. Lycett, Terrys and Wrights.
There are differences in the saddle frames so what you actually have will depend on that.
The hexagonal saddle spring supports would have been fitted to 43 models and were used in conjunction with shorter main springs.(approx. 4" long)...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

How can I tell the difference between seat makers, and are you related to the Wrights, Ian?
The Wassell cover fits mine just fine with the exception that two tabs fouled the base springs so I had to fold over at an angle. And the repro Lycett name plate I bought should be just fine for the cover.

I'm thinking some of the features of my bike are earlier than the serial number may indicate- and my frame serial number looks like it may have been re-stamped. Might explain some variations from what the number would indicate should be "right".
Vince

email (option): vinver@ns.sympatico.ca

Hi Vince,

I think the thing to do would be to find out what contract your bike was built to, get that parts list, and build to that if you want a correct bike for the period.

Over time, the parts were mixed and matched at REME or through various owners working on the bike with a "what have you" kind of philosophy.

It's only current owners like us who care about originality.

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1