Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
B31engine into WM20

Im getting on with the above engine swap but have ran into a problem I hope somebody can shed some light on.
The engine sprocket is 10mm out of line with the clutch drum sprocket ie 10 mm further out.
Do you think this is because it is a 1956 engine which had the 2 lobe shock absorber?
Do I need a 2 lobe shockabsorber?

email (option): gasboy@btinternet .com

Re: B31engine into WM20

Peter,

Do you have the thrust washer that fits between the cush drive and the bearing? That makes a world of difference.

Regards,
Leon

email (option): leonhop3@planet.nl

Even with the sproket carrier sleeve pushed to the end of the crankshaft splines, the sproket is still further out than the clutch sprocket

Hi Peter..2 and 4 lobe sprocket assemblies are interchangeable (as complete assemblies) so that shouldn't be the problem. Some 4 lobe sprocket carriers have a shoulder on the back of them that eliminates the need for the seperate spacer that fits against the main bearing...using both parts will move the sprocket out of line, though the seperate spacer itself is only 1/4" or so thick, or should be...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Will the petrol tank fit too?

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

If you have a flat bottomed M20 tank you will have problems with clearance for the rocker boxes.It will either have to be altered or replaced with an M33 tank or modified B Series tank.... Also you will need an M33 downpipe and silencer, M33 head steady, oil tank fittings for the return side from a B31/33 or M33 to set up feed to the rockers, a different size engine sprocket (if you want std gearing) and an OHV pattern valve lifter cable...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

there was a questioned asked on this forum re fitting a b 31/33 tank i think it said that the easiet way to fit the tank was to alter the front tank lugs to raise or lower the tank a little bit i am not sure which way it was

Ian.
You were right about that spacer. Without that everything os ok. Thanks.
I am ok with the tank, mine has the cutaway bottom

You need to add a piece 1/2 inch wide to the top of the tank lugs with new holes so as to lower the tank.

Nieuwe pagina 1