Author
Comment
Gearbox advise please

Hello Gents
I am currently rebuilding my gearbox and motor
I have replaced the bearings and I have to replace the
Main shaft as someone took to it with a hammer, the problem
I am having is I can't get gears off it I frozen it heated it ,tapped
Them with my hide mallet. Just won't budge.
Is there a trick ?????

Also according to the service sheets you need to put it in to top gear
In order to reassemble, how can I ensure I do it correct.
Anyone got any photos for a visual aid.
Sorry just a dumb carpenter&joiner,
Cheers Darren

email (option): Darrenacartwright@yahoo.com.au

Re: Gearbox advise please

Hi Darren...I hope you didn't heat the mainshaft and gear hot enough to discolour them...if you did I would advise fitting another gear as well...
The fixed gears should be a press fit onto the shafts..though sometimes they do work lose over time.
The fit is quite 'heavy' and you will need access either to a large flypress or a hydraulic press to remove and refit them. So, head for your nearest engine refurbishment shop or Engineering firm who may have this equipment.
As you say the gearbox has to be assembled in top gear and the gear selector quadrant inside the box also has to be set in the correct position prior to replacing the inner cover.
There are also a number of other factors to be taken into account in assembling and setting up the gearbox...If you don't have them I would strongly recommend you get hold of the factory service sheets for this model before attempting reassembly to give you the information needed and thus the best chance of putting together the box so that it functions correctly. The M20 box is definitely not one you can build with intuition alone.
I believe Henk has all this on disc, for sale at very reasonable prices...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Hello Ian
Thanks for the advice , I only heated the Mainshaft and gears to 100C
They are not discoloured should they be alright?
I have an original copy of the book of service sheets is this the information you mention
Henk has or is it additional information?
Cheers Darren

Hi Darren... You will be OK with 100 degrees....
The factory work sheets show a picture of the gear cluster set in the top gear position. For each shaft there is a selector fork and selector dog. On the mainshaft this is fitted between top (4th) and third gear. Top gear is the gear that fits through the gearbox bearing, third gear is the one on the other side of the selector dog. On the layshaft the selector dog is between second and first gear. First gear is the one nearest the kickstart end. Second gear is on the other side of the selector dog.
When the gearbox is set in top gear the selector dog on the mainshaft is engaged with the dog teeth on top gear.
The selector dog on the layshaft should then be positioned between first and second gears...hope that helps, but look for the illustration in the service sheets...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

This is what the cluster looks like in 4th gear. Set it up in your hand so that it looks so and then shove it into the box...then start all over again....at least that's what I normally have to do

Pete

email (option): petercomley@web.de

Thank you Pete for the photo, do you mean
that it does not usually work for you first time when you
say do it all over again.??
The other part I am concerned about is the position of the gear control quadrant?
Do you Gents have a preferred gasket sealant??
Thanks again Darren

hi, them shafts look like brand new, pity about the rusty deposits on the gear pinnions,my dog is now dead

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

Rick. That is grease, not rust!

Cheers
Pete

email (option): petercomley@web.de

Nieuwe pagina 1