Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Front Mudguard

Hi

I recently ordered a mudguard from Draganfly Motorcycles, the front one. 95GBP.
I tried to bolt it all up only to discover it does not fit. Mick insists it is the same supplier as the one he has and his fits perfectly.So i am quite confused.
I have checked this mudguard against Graham Isaks 1944 WDM20, original front mudguard. The radius is totally out on the replica part.

However....in the name of futile exercises could someone please tell me the correct length of the front stay. I have checked my one against an original and mine seem to be right.A third or fourth measurement cant hurt.

The only conclusion i can come to is that i was sent the wrong mudguard.
Below are some pictures showing the difference. The front and rear stay are original, i realize the back one is upside down however that shouldnt make a massive difference.

Photobucket

Photobucket

PS: I have bought many items from Draganfly and am most impressed with their products. This is the first item that i have had a problem with.

email (option): brandon@screengraphics.co.za

Re: Front Mudguard

There are long and short forks, a long fork does need a distance piece between the fork and the mudguard. Without it you just can't fit the mudguard with out using lots of force. This distance piece is 1/2" long, try fitting the mudguard with out the bolt that hold it against the bottom of forks.

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Well, it's not much use trying to fit the mudguard like this, better to fit wheel and tyre, and then check if it follows the radius of the tyre, and then adapt mudguard stays to suit. who knows what mudguard or wheel has been previously fitted, 20"???

My 2 cents,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

Hi Brandon

You said you had some pictures? They did not show up! Can you email them?

Peter

email (option): pvlietstra@gmail.com

Hi Brandon, If the radius of the guard is not the same as the original it will never fit properly..and won't look right either..even if you alter your original stays to make it fit. If you get it in the right position in the middle it will be out at the ends ..and vice versa.. and it won't follow the radius of the tyre.
The mudguard you have is an Indian sourced replica..they have some recognisable features. In your photo the lower front mudguard stay is fitted upside down...the bracket and retaining bolt should be above the stay with the reinforced part of the stay on the right of the bike.....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Hi Ian

yes i agree with you Ian. The radius is totally out and is nowhere near the original mudguard.
Just to make that clear, we do have an original to compare the replica with and the replica is not the same radius, i dont see why i should be cutting my front stay to fit. Makes no sense.

As i said in my post. My front and rear stay are exactly the right size as the originals on my mates WDM20.

I also noted that the front 'stand' is on backwards.

What i DONT understand is why on earth Draganfly would send out a product such as this one. It clearly is a physical impossibility that it will fit.

Hi Brandon..apologies for mentioning the stay..I didn't spot your comment at the end of your original post...A few years back I had a small batch of front mudguards made in the UK..where I could exert some direct influence to ensure the spec. matched my original pattern.. At the time they were not overly expensive either...so it is possible to get it right.
I recently had some feedback from a customer indicating there may be some fitting problems, albeit of a minor nature, with the upgraded steering head bearing kit I sell.
Despite fitting a set to my WB30 without problems prior to marketing them, it appears there may be unforseen issues with the M20.
I have stopped selling these parts until I have time to examine the situation and make any necessary changes..either to the parts and/or to the fitting instructions.
Any responsible seller should be keen resolve the problem for the individual who identifies the fault and then take a similar line of action in my opinion. Without a degree of quality control being exercised by at least some retailers the future will be frustrating and expensive..Ian

Its the postage that costs alot. So we order parts pay postage and then have to pay postage again to get the part back if its not the right fit.Doesnt seem altogether right.

Can someone just confirm for me the front stay length of an original........just to satisfy my curiosity.As i said my mates bike is original but hey.....lets check anyway. Still.The radius is what counts as far as i understand.

Hi Brandon..If you can find a sheet metal man with a set of 'English Wheels' you may be able to get the radius adjusted...Ian

Probably when they press the guard for the girder indents it changes the radius? They probably didn't allow for this. It's a shame they can't get it right for all the trouble of making them. They look alright otherwise. And another thing why did the front one have a rib and not the rear??

I'm having the opposite issue with my front guard- the front stay I had set aside is about an inch too short for the underside of the guard!.
Now the front mudguard is a slightly distorted original, the rear stand/stay is original, but the front stay is out of my spares bins- so quite likely not right anyway. I do have a distance piece that I will try for the upper mount too.
Can anybody post how to tell the different variations of front girder fork blades apart? Dimensions, details?.
I'llmeasure the stays and post later tonight.
Thanks, Vincent

email (option): vinver@ns.sympatico.ca

Nieuwe pagina 1