Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
royal enfield WD c/o ohv

just rebuilt my engine and had it running okay but no oil getting around the engine, oil pump works fine any suggestions?

cheers michael

email (option): michael.rutland@homail.co.uk

Re: royal enfield WD c/o ohv

Hi Michel,
Any chance of mixing the oil tank in out and return lines?

Also, sometimes air trapped in the feed line is preventing from the oil to enter the pump, which is not built to draw air, so you might want to check
that the feed line is filled with oil.

Noam.

Reading your post again, you might mean no oil only to the top of engine/tappets?...

email (option): noam10@gmail.com

No oil lines involved with this engine. The oil tank is incorporated with the crankcase. If you have a freshly rebuilt engine it will take a time for the timing cover to receive oil and also the sump will have to get to a certain level before the pump will scavenge back to the tank. Just run the engine as slow as poss whilst watching the return spout just inside the oil filler neck. Eventually it should start to spit back. Don't expect a constant flow as the scavenge side of the pump is working harder than the feed side.
Presumably you oiled everything on assembly, so running the engine for 5-7 minutes at low revs is OK. If you are convinced that no oil is circulating! Shut down and we will have to think some more. Ron

PS. since you have run the engine, and before you restart it, remove the big end feed quill (Big nut in middle of timing cover) The oil should dribble out to prove the pump is working.

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Correct Ron,
A stupid nistake of me. sorry.
I mixed it with something else...

Noam.

With the BSAs I remove the spark plug and kick them over until oil returns to the tank...then start them.
It takes a fair bit of kicking, probably 50-100 kicks but without the plug it's not too strenuous..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Ian, try doing that with a Matchless! I doubt you'd live long enough. They are terrifyingly slow to return.

Ron

Ron...I wouldn't buy a Matchless.. ...so no worries there....Ian

with a new rebuilt co engine add oil to all the parts during assembly, dribble some into the oil feed to the big end, before refitting engine take off the oil filter cap and fill filter with oil and putting about half pint of oil in the cases helps, it does take about five minutes for oil to circulate, a little extra oil helps avoid wear at this point as running dry does horrible things.

After engine rebuild I pressed the exhaust lifter and pushed the bike in second gear till oil dripped back to oil tank.

Then I had to wait few minutes till blood came back to my pump..

Your a fitter man than I am Noam!!.. . No spark plug and a set of powered starting rollers as used for race bikes might be the answer..Ian

thanks for everyones help now got the oil running around the engine okay now, i have been running a 250 ohv royal enfield engine in my wd c/o for about 3 years, now its sitting on my work bench so if anyone is interested mail me and we can come to some sort of price
cheers michael

email (option): michael.rutland@homail.co.uk

Must be a post war Clipper engine? Be interesting to know if your CO goes any better with the correct 350? Please let me know! Ron

not sure about the age of the engine the markings stamped on it are S3746 on the side of the engine and at the back of the engine the markings are S2574 then 86/507 where the mag is housed
cheers michael
p.s testing the 350 tommorow at the 40's due at Gressenhall in norfolk

email (option): michael.rutland@hotmail.co.uk

Bear in mind that the Model S had a 250cc motor which looks exactly like the 350cc CO motor. It was a bit of an odd machine, apparently built from leftover stock. Mostly Model G. There is a bloke in Cape Town who has a lovely example. Probably quite a scarce machine. If I knew how to add a photo to this message, I would do so!
Bruce

Nieuwe pagina 1