Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
FOR SALE : >>>>> Royal Enfield WD/CO , original 1944 bike

Have decided to sell my recent barnfind Royal Enfield WD/CO.

Have to much work...so will not have time in the coming years for this wonderfull bike.

So here is for sale:

Original Royal Enfield WD/CO from 1944.

With a total production of some 30.000pcs one of the harder to find WD motorbikes.

This is a real barnfind, uncut, pretty original, original green paint under civi paint clearly visible. Has been stored and untouched for some 40 years.. Engine, drive line, wheels, gears are all clear and not jammed. Even throttle, brakes and clutch work! Engine does not run.

Based on my limited knowledge, only minor easy to find parts are missing, specific harder to find Royal Enfield parts are still there...which makes this a pretty complete bike.

It even has 2 ORIGINAL WWII tyres...so you can imagine..after the war it was only used for a couple of years before it was stored in a barn...

Looking for

3950,- EURO

which is currently some 3150,- Brittish pound.

phone 0031621124202

Can be seen in Netherlands, I can deliver in the UK.

regards, Jacco

email (option): vansnippenberg@yahoo.com

Re: FOR SALE : >>>>> Royal Enfield WD/CO , original 1944 bike

If anyone has something to say about the condition of this bike, feel free, I am still learning, so please shoot!

Bike still available.

Cheers, Jacco

OK Jacco since you asked. A few observations! The headlamp is not the correct Lucas item. It looks like it might be from an Indian or something. So of course no ammeter/switch panel. I'm quite sure all war time CO's have a ribbed front guard. Handlebar levers are the pressed steel post war variety. The rear carrier front support bars are missing as is the rear stand and right side toolbox. I can't be sure but I think the dynamo is a post war 60 amp item.
I'm not here to criticise or piss on anyone's firework. But It seems an awfull lot has gone missing or been changed in it's "Two Years" civy life. The price in Holland might be acceptable, But in the UK, a price of over £3000 for a CO total restoration project is a bit high I fear. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I would agree with those observations...and confirm that it is a postwar dynamo and the mag might be as well...Is the speedo a WD one?....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Has 'Rewdco' checked the numbers ? I see that it has a French registration and many of the COs there were supplied to the French government post-war and were rebuilt in their workshops.

It also seems quite common for machines civilianised there to receive French components perhaps to make them look more 'European'

The tyres are not wartime dated and could have been from substantial post-war stocks.

Although it might not have covered a lot of miles, it's quite possible that some French drunk fell off it every week on his way back from the café.

Much apreciated guys! Although it looks like there is nothing original left

Anyway, I beleive in general, there are more original good RE parts then wrong ones. Rectangular tool box missing, but the other harder to find one is pressent.
Anyway, it's a hard to find WD bike in a good original kinda complete restorable condition.

Pricing is an interesting subject...

I doubt if UK and mainland differ allot though.

There is M20 and a WDCO for sale in NL for 3250 and 3500 EURO. Both bikes incomplete.

This summer a Ariel bike was FS @ Beltring for 6000,- Pounds.

On Milweb there are currently a G3 for 7000,-EURO and a G3L for 6000,- pounds...

Not to judge, and I am rather new into WD bikes (Jeep guy) ..but it is just my observation, not justifying the current prices I see in the market. Anyway....sure we can come to a price below 3000 pounds.

Can deliver to UK as I still have a GS trailer to pickup in Kent.

A straight comparison between the Enfield and other military bikes such as the Matchless, Ariel and BSA does not reflect the differences in demand for each model. In the UK at least, the RE is probably the least desired of the military bikes..and that has always been the case. Having owned a lot of Enfields I consider them to be good bikes and feel they are underated for no logical reason..but there you go.
Back in the 70's I had two Royal Enfield Constellations which were far superior, in my opinion, to the AMC twins, definitely handled better than a Triumph and were pretty much on a par with the others..but they never seemed to catch the public imagination.
It is the same with the wartime single..I would take it in preference to at least three of the others..I won't name them for fear of upsetting anyone..but it is definititely at the bottom of peoples shopping lists generally and that is reflected in the price. Saying that though...on a strongly rising market you may well get what you want for it......Ian

A straight comparison between the Enfield and other military bikes such as the Matchless, Ariel and BSA does not reflect the differences in demand for each model.

That's interesting. I know G3L and M20 are most popular for their ride and availability,...so thought G3, WD/CO's and other rarer bikes would be worth slightly more.

From collector point of view that is how it normally works..right? .....does in the Jeep world...

Well anyway,...sure someone will come. Till that time is keeps the M20 and Jeeps company.

That is true to an extent Jacco, but a higher percentage of people buying military bikes than other classic bikes do so because they want to ride them...and the CO isn't that rare..
Obviously there are also a lot of collectors..but again..more people want to 'collect' a G3, a James, an Ariel etc. than want to 'collect' a Royal Enfield..so even in the collectors market the price difference exists.
These are all theoretical points though..there are quite a few people out there who don't make these distinctions..they just want a military bike.
Your asking price is not completely unreasonable and I think there is every chance you will get it from someone who isn't perhaps as 'involved' in the whole thing as some of the forum contributors..or from someone who relishes the challenges of that sort of rebuild..Ian

This is just a light hearted observation Jacco. The rectangular tool box that you mention which was fitted to previous models of RE's, Was actually only fitted to the first contract of CO's. It was supposedly omitted in favour of making primary chain adjustment easier.
However I have fitted one to my 43 CO. Simply becuase I couldn't stand the glaring great hole Ron

Photobucket

PS. If anyone needs a right hand CO toolbox. I have one here for sale that belongs to Lex.

Wow Ron, sexy looking bike. Very nice!

Thanks for the lesson on the toll box. So I should not have it anyway. But I understand what you mean with the gap.

Could you then also explain why I have a triangle tool box on the muffler side, while I have it on the chain guard side? Also depends on the year?

This one below probably also has your configuration? Owned by Rinco who lives in Netherlands also..

2nd thing I notice are the pilion seats...the one on mine only seems to have a canvas cover, ont he top....differes from your bike and the RAF one here below..where there different types?

Coincidentally Jacco, Rinco and Margaret are coming to my house (Poole UK) this very week.
The normal configuration for a CO is two triangle tool box's (one each side). The left hand box has a stepped cut out on the back to accommodate the brake pedal.
I have noted from original pictures that various types of pillion seats were used. Either a bum pad or frame type. But all would have originally been trimmed with a black Rexine type material. A bit like the modern day Vinyl. Ron

PS. Just looking at your pictures again. It looks like your pillion seat might have the remains of the original Rexine cover.

Coincidentally Jacco, Rinco and Margaret are coming to my house (Poole UK) this very week.

How cool is that Ron! Send them my regards!! They live some 30minutes from my place!

Yep I wear their T shirts often

Ron

Jacco,
Off topic, but you said you are a jeep guy--I used to have a '60 Willy's Jeep pickup truck--the back of the driver's cab looked just like that grey hunk you have covered up in the background of one of those pictures there.
Is that a Willy's cab? I loved that truck!
nt

email (option): nicktog@gmail.com

They are lovely trucks Nick. The cab you see is indeed from my dads '56 Willys stake bed with original 6 in line SV engine. Currently under restauration. So same cab as your pickup, different bed.

We also have a '55 Willys station wagon! And 2 WWII Jeeps, a '41 Willys and a '41 Ford.

cheers, Jacco

Nieuwe pagina 1