Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Securing the Speedo

I've been told, by a couple of different people, that they "know" someone who had their old speedo stolen while the bike was parked up at an autojumble/bike show/military fair (delete as applicable).

Given the price of an original (especially the military S433), then it would be an easy target to someone that knew about such things (who had the appropiate spanner/pliers/small adjustable). Mind you the original horn and even the pannier bags would be worth having (although not as valuable).

Is this an urban myth or should I be worried as I park my bikes all over the place ??

Any ideas on a better system of attachment, which may make it tougher to remove ? The lockwire thing was a possibility but that is easily cut ...

cheers

email (option): madoc500@hotmail.com

Re: Securing the Speedo

Hi John..There are quite a few easily removable parts that might go west if the bike is left unattended..the levers are another item that springs readily to mind. In fact it would be a simple operation to remove the complete headlamp as well.
I don't think it is possible to secure everything that COULD be taken and really it is a reflection of the increasing value and scarcity of parts that this sort of thing now occurs..
A determined thief will get what he wants generally, whether it is parts or the whole bike and will be equipped to do so...I rarely leave my bike for long if I can help it, but there are times when you have to...then I just hope for the best....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I can't think of anything that's not going to make your own maintenance much more difficult. A nut and stud drilled for a small roll-pin might help but you'll probably damage the stud when you come to dismantle.

Maybe a small nut welded inside the case and a Loctited countersunk screw up through the bracket ?

I haven't heard of ordinary speedos going but jumbles strike me as the worst possible place to park a bike as everybody knows the value and the thieves are intending to come back with parts whatever. Nobody would give a second glance to someone fiddling with a bike, would they ? and if they watch you go in, they know that they've got time..."There's JO'B - He'll be at least an hour by the first tea stall, an hour with Ian Wright...."

Maybe the best thing is to leave something easy to take on the bike ? A broken tyre inflator filled with dog shit or something ? Let him stuff that down the front of his jacket

I'm with Ian on this one. I just don't like leaving my bike out of sight for long.
I rode my M20 to the Popham Mega Meet last Sunday. I parked it in the arena at the back of a BMW club display. I simply asked the four guys sat there if they would keep an eye on it for me. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Ron Pier
I'm with Ian on this one. I just don't like leaving my bike out of sight for long.
I rode my M20 to the Popham Mega Meet last Sunday. I parked it in the arena at the back of a BMW club display. I simply asked the four guys sat there if they would keep an eye on it for me. Ron

That's all right for theft, Ron but the BMW OC wouldn't piss on somthing old and British if it was on fire !

Yes Rik, I didn't assume anything with my request, which is why my paranoia forced me to revisit my bike ever 15-20 minutes. It does spoil the relaxation a bit.

Ron

Its really a shame that we have to worry about stuff being pinched off the bikes while at auto jumbles etc, but I suppose that is the world we live in today.
But reguarding speedos, maybe changing the fixing pin for a Torx type head would help. I imagine that the average thief isnt as likly to carry a Torx set as much as an adjustable spanner.
I usually park my bike next to much more 'desirable' machinery, hoping that they draw the flak

email (option): gasboy@btinternet .com

its not only thefts from old bikes i was at a motorcycle race and a few bikes for mine had his exhaust silencers stolen i used to make a piece of tubing with a washer welded on one end the nut would go up inside a socket would only just fit i had drilled a small hole in the side when i had tighten the nut would put a pop rivet in it so a socket wouldnt go up you would have to drill out the pop rivet to undo the nut that before battery drills also the robber would have to carry a socket set

Pete, parking your bike near more desirable machines is not going to work!!! They don't have canvas grips and Vokes filters fitted Ron

Just mount a fake mini spycam on top of the bars looking at your speedo!!

Nieuwe pagina 1