Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Early war motorcyclist kit

What do you think an early war short coat and bibs are worth? I just got an unissued perfect set on the cheap.

email (option): micran1234@yahoo.com

Re: Early war motorcyclist kit

Michael Randall
What do you think an early war short coat and bibs are worth? I just got an unissued perfect set on the cheap.

I think the answer, if it's raining, is 'not a lot'

Hi Michael

The early short jacket seems to be quite sort after, I've seen them for £70 or more.

The early long bib and brace waterproof trousers on the other hand are quite common and I always struggle to sell them, if they are a really big size they might make a tenner with the wind behind them.

Just my personal experience. Rob.

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

I reckon the early pattern coat would fetch more than that...Late pattern coats in unissued condition will fetch at least that much and are far more common. I've seen those at up to £100.
I have looked for a short coat for a few years with no success... ...Personally I think it is a shame they didn't go for the Barbour 'International Trials' suit which was rejected after Ministry testing in favour of all the (not very suitable) DR Kit. Obviously a decision not made by DRs!!..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

You know I always wondered about that. Seems the International/Trialmaster jackets would have been perfect for the DR's use. It really seems all the military DR kit I have been around is rather worthless and bulky.

It would be nice to find the reports that influenced the final decision making on motorcyclist kit. The 'International' suit was very much an off-road competition thing and ordinary road motorcyclists tended to prefer the stormcoat and tummy-pad system if covering distance during the winter.

It occurs to me that having just dumped the elegant Service Dress uniform for the 'sack of shit tied round the middle' Battledress, they didn't want to have motorcyclists looking smarter than the Brigade of Guards (or indeed senior officers).

I would have thought that the waxed cotton International coat would have been an ideal garment for many service needs. I've crawled through plenty of undergrowth in mine.

It's odd that a blanket lined one piece tank suit was condsidered ideal for a 'tankie' but a one piece waterproof suit was not looked at in the same way for motorcyclists. Perhaps it was because the International Suit was black and didn't offer much in the way of camouflage..or maybe they just didn't think it looked good on parade. Replacing the entire thing in the event of a small amount of damage might have been a factor as well..it would certainly be interesting to know the answer...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Yeah I love my Belstaff trialmaster (made in UK not china like the new ones). I once went for a trek near an old railyard and the way there was wet and woodsy. About a month later I pulled the coat out and found a snake and a lizard dried up in my pockets. I wear mine when riding vintage trials and cant find anything I like more. I remember once someone told me the military did use a garment like it and waxed but have never seen proof.

Nieuwe pagina 1