Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Magneto available for hire?

This is a bit of a long shot, but well worth a go. I hope you think so too.

I'm going to the Isle of Wight Steam Show on Tuesday and was hoping to exhibit my '44 M20 as although I haven't had the old girl for all that long, she's got under my skin. I've had Japanese bikes for years and years and usually take one of these to show but I keep thinking how nice it'd be to take the BSA as I've only seen one WD bike there in the years that I've been going.
But, my mag is away for repair and I thought I'd post this message to see if anyone in Dorset, Somerset or Wiltshire (I'm in Shaftesbury, North Dorset) has one available for hire until I return on Wednesday 31st August? Safe to say it'd be in safe hands and returned when I get back. I could collect today (Sunday) or Monday.

Any help will be gratefully recieved.

Lee 07860 239528 / 01747 850103

email (option): lee@twowheelstested.co.uk

Re: Magneto available for hire?

Thanks to all for helping find a mag in time for the IOW. I've had offers of rebuilt mags for the duration, others have spotted mags for sale and sent me links but it looks as though my own mag will be back thanks to those willing to put the grass cutting to one side on a sunday and put the wheels of industry very much in motion.
All I've got to do is fit my first mag in the middle of a field on Thursday!

Thanks again, it's much appreciated.

Bring back the 'Day of Rest'..I still had to cut the grass.. ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Mow the grass!! I thought he was some sort of Jewish informer. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I heard he was the local drug dealer... ...Ian

I can only imagine what it must have been like to time a mag if a war-torn field all those years ago!

I've had Japanese bikes since 1979 so imagine how pleased I was to time the mag perfectly on my second attempt. It was only then I remembered it should be timed fully-advanced - and that's when my smugness disappeared.

Ok, the pinion gear has a hairline crack which (sadly) I only noticed in the middle of a field in the IOW and not a few weeks ago in my garage, but I can't believe how far out the timing can go on the final tweak - time, tap, tweak and bugger, it's a mile out again.....
Anyhow, after just an hour and a half(!) I turned a mag in a box into something that actually worked and even managed a few laps of the island, albeit with a fully-charged phone. The M20 then spent a few days at the Steam Show along with a bunch of MVT guys and a fella with a Triumph that was part of 65 for 65.

Thanks to Ian for sorting the mag and if anyone has an un-cracked pinion gear for sale, please let me know.

email (option): lee@twowheelstested.co.uk

Hi Lee..Glad to hear you managed to get the M20 running, despite the cracked mag drive gear. Try Russell Motors for a NOS drive gear...they did have them..If you are looking at second hand ones check out the shoulder on the back where the oil seal runs..pitting and wear on that surface is the most common problem..Ian

Nieuwe pagina 1