Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A dispatch riders story

I accidentally crumpled the drivers door on my neighbours (whom I only know in passing) Honda Jazz with my wife's Range Rover last week, not a great achievement - but as it turns out, this chap was in Palestein and Libya during the war - as a radio engineer - and dispatch rider! He rode BSA's occasionally but mainly a 16H.

He's a smashing fella, I'm going to have a further chat about his story when he was in the war, I think he also has some pictures - would anyone be interested if I gathered all this and posted on the forum?

Andy

email (option): Adh325@hotmail.com

Re: A dispatch riders story

I would be interested in any information. There cannot be too many despatch riders still alive. Are you in Dorset? Paul

sound very interesting these stories should be told an archived looking forward to seeing it

OGM! Living history. By all means, get the man on tape if you can.

See if he can varify markings, equipement, field gear or whatever. There are so many things I'd like to ask him I wouldn't know where to start.

Lucky accident I'd say. But you called him smashing?

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

At the families request I rode my M20 at the front of the funeral cortege of an ex DR, full uniform, black ribbons on the bike, the full job...he had a lifelong interest in bikes. I felt very privilidged to have got the request from the family.
He served in North Africa and Italy and finished the war near the Austrian border.
Apparently he wrote some stuff down and made tapes...the family have said I can have them at some point to look at and listen to...voices from the past..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I have contact with a Canadian DR. He has told me some interesting info. He was with the 17th Duke of York

email (option): micran1234@yahoo.com

Nieuwe pagina 1