Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
BEF WM20 – 1st Field Squadron Royal Engineers

Just an update for who is interested:

A few months ago I bought the French WM20 via this forum and posted some pictures and details. It was a 1940 WM20 in a 1943 frame, no wheels but quite a lot original markings on the tank and a ‘movement code’ on the front mudguard.

Thanks to these movement code and some wonderful investigation from Rik and Andrew they have found out this bike belonged to the 1st Field Squadron Royal Engineers parts of the 1st Armoured Division’s Support Group. This squadron sailed to France in May 1940 with 17 motorcycles and it is very likely this was one of them.

From the war dairy : ’The squadron sailed for Le Havre on 15th may, hooked up the 51st Division at St. Valery en Caux (south of the Somme) and half was evacuated from the beach and a small town north of St. Valery’.

I received more detailed information from Rik and will try to do further investigation on the internet in the future, but if any of you already knows more about these squadron or where I can find more information, I will of course be very interested.

Today we dismantled the engine and it is amazing in what condition it is after so many years, hardly no wear at all, sadly a bit moisture inside the crankcase corroded the bearings and piston but otherwise no damage, the crankcase is silverpainted, and was painted light green after assembly in the frame.

The silver paint on top of the crankcase sticked to the cylinderbase gasket which indicates that it was the first time the cylinder came off and the crankcase was parted.

There was also a bit of red paint on a stud on the driveside (see picture), anyone knows the purpose ?

Regards, Michiel

Photobucket

email (option): m.wijbenga@hotmail.com

Re: BEF WM20 – 1st Field Squadron Royal Engineers

Hi Michiel... St.Valery was surrendered on the 12th. June 1940. and much of the unit was captured. From the original compliment of 8 Officers and 293 Other Ranks, 4 Officers and 65 OR escaped and returned to England.
The unit was reformed and served in North Africa where again the bulk of the unit was captured at Tobruk.
They were reformed again and fought in Italy, finally being reorganised into an assault squadron and renamed in late 44...1st. Armoured Engineers Squadron. They subsequently took part in the Normandy campaign.
The units war diaries can be seen at the National Archive under no. WO167/340...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Nieuwe pagina 1