Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
BSA M20 help for a newbie please

I have just dug out my BSA M20 which my family have owned for 30 years. It was straight out of the army via one owner when we bought it and is unmolested. I used to run it around the field but it has not been active since about 1984. I am trying to work out what bits are right to buy and where to source them from. can you guys please point me in the right direction? I know I need correct set of cables, an ammeter, a battery frame, the outer bit anyway, canvas grips, and wiring loom. Also, would like original pattern seat covers front and rear. If I can work out how to post photos I will load up some of what its like right now. Would appreciate any help please. thx

Photobucket

and a link to my photobucket site

email (option): andrew.honychurch@btinternet.com

Re: BSA M20 help for a newbie please

Wow, earlier today there was a comment about old bikes parked in the back of sheds and Viola! A shining example! Perfect example of a wonderful original, My vote is not to strip and repaint it, get it running and mechanically fit , avoid any spares made in India and get it back on the road as a wonderful period example.
Oh , and expect a lot of interest from the guys here on this forum.We love these old M20's.
Where are you located? England, Europe?
Cheers, Vincent

email (option): vinver@ns.sympatico.ca

I've been hunting for a year for a lot of the parts on your bike. This is a great original bike. Got me drooling. Good Luck with it.

email (option): micran1234@yahoo.com

Wow, thanks guys, its always great to hear such words of support. The old M20 was bought by my Dad and I used to run it around, it was great. I suppose back in 1976 you could get most of this stuff but I probably should have bought the bits I need back then. I have not started it since about 1984 and now there is no spark. i have checked all the usual things so I think I need to send the mag off for a rebuild. Can I get canvas grips or they impossible?

Your Dad had great taste! I suppose back in 1976 a decent M20 could be bought for under a hundred Pounds, had you bought a bunch back then you would be well set today! Prices just lately have been going crazy on parts, it seems a decent machine still in one piece can still be found at fairly reasonable prices, just don't try to build one up from parts, it will be much more expensive.
Contact Ian Wright re magneto rebuilding. He's on this group.
Reproduction canvas grips are available, I just bought a set on e-bay but wish I had read through this forum first- I think Hans (?) makes them too. The ones from yellowbirdcustoms on e-bay have a largish greem seam on the bottom that is dubious, I expect they are made that way to avoid fraying but it looks a bit , well, wrong. But then I haven't seen any real grips around and I expect nobody in Canada would be able to see the difference.
This forum has been a great help, you are lucky to have found us!
Keep us posted, and don't be afraid to ask lots of questions,
Vincent

email (option): vinver@ns.sympatico.ca

Vincent V.
.... I think Hans (?) makes them too.

No, I don't make them, but you can easily make them yourself; have a look at the Technical Section of the website

email (option): viaconsu # planet dot nl

an original ammeter are hard to get hold of but your one should be able to be repaired if not to badly damaged good luck

What a fantastic example.

Mine was in a much poorer state than yours, but still had the BVD dates stamped on the petrol tank very similar to yours.

Photobucket

Photobucket

email (option): adh325@hotmail.com

hey guys thanks for the help, and so sorry not to have replied. HOW DO YOU SET AUTO NOTIFICATION? I have to remember to check my posts rather than get notified?

Anyway, interesting that the canvas grips are available, I will check out E Bay if Hans doesnt make them who does? Oh and where is the technical section. Duh, I am not very quick on this yet! Thanks for the photo of your tank, what are those markings then. yes they are exactly the same as mine, what do they mean then? cheers Andrew

hi,technical section is on the home page of this site below forum ,nice bike cheers rick

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

Hi Andrew, I believe the tank markings refer to the 6 monthly checks carried out when the bike was kept in storage. From the key cards it seems the bike I have was kept at BVD Bicester before being snapped up and sold on by Pride and Clarke when my relatives acquired it. Similar to yours it was used on the farm. My dad let his greyhounds sit in the side car! Then the bike was kept in a barn for 30 years, rescued and kept in a garage for another 10, and it's been in boxes for the last 3 years!

email (option): Adh325@hotmail.com

Here are some updated photos of the M20, I just pushed it out of the shed to have a look in the light. Hope you enjoy them

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

it looks great! i hope one day mine looks a nice as yours

email (option): kschaank@hotmail.com

Well she is almost finished. Still little bits to fettle, i rather think reading this forum one never stops fettling with the bikes anyway! Thanks for all the help from you all. Here she is, just completed a half mile run down the road and back. Great

Photobucket

Photobucket

Very, very nice Andrew. And from the same contract as mine.
Just on the edge of a panic attack, thinking about all those boxes in my garage that now contain mysterious bits of my bike...

email (option): lee@twowheelstested.co.uk

A fine machine Andrew - hope you have many happy miles on her

:-)

Jo'b

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

thanks a lot guys. The old girl has been in our family for 35 years, its amazing to think that. I used to ride it when I was an early teenager, so it was a great feeling to take it down the road today. Couldnt go to far as I had not got the necessary paperwork but she went well. It seems to have a little bit of clutch slip but its also crunching into gear from standstill so I need to read up the clutch set up posts again. The other thing that occured to me was the high gearing. Anyway, I reached 30 mph on the speedo ( felt like 40 mph) and that felt flat out! Well to be fair, it felt comfortable, and I need to do a bolt check again. She seemed really smooth on the road, but a little waggly on the steering so I gave the damper a couple of turns. Cant wait for another go!

Hi Andrew, compliments, looks very good!

Nice exhaust too, is that the stainless tipped up 'Ron' type from Armours? Would like that on mine also.

Regards, Michiel

thanks Michiel, it is indeed Rons tipped up type from Armours. Took a little bit of fitting in that it didnt throw itself on. I had to cut about half and inch off the barrel end of the down pipe which then brought the bracket closer which then had to be encouraged to fit the engine bolt. And then I had to put quite a bit of upwards pressure to get the rear silencer in the correct position, but the end result is very satisfying

Nieuwe pagina 1