Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
New acquisitions for John Tinley

John just sent me pictures of a couple of bikes he's just purchased in France.
The James ML came from near Caen and is still in it's original paint and markings. (some close ups available)
Ron

Photobucket

Photobucket

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Re: New acquisitions for John Tinley

Nice, very nice nearly to nice to be original paint. Unbelievable that bikes like that can still be found.

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

thats the nice thing about motorcycles they can be put in the back of a garage/shed and forgoten about and lets hope they are not to many leaky garages/sheds out there long live old motorcycles

Isn't the paint on the tiddler the same paint as on the Norton?...or am I being cinical again?.. ..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I think the front of the fender is orginal paint.
The paint on the exhaust is the same color as the rest of the bike, so looks never used.....
Is this a NOS bike?
But very nice bikes, I like the Norton exhaust plating!

Cheers,

Leon

Just to confirm the paint and markings on the mudguards of the James are original. The rest of the bike has been restored as it was too bad to keep. The markings are Royal Artillery. The bike was found in a barn on a farm at Cormelles - le- Royal south of Caen. I would welcome any information on who would have liberated this village. Cheers John

email (option): tinley@btinternet.com

Hi John, The village itself was liberated on 19 July by the Canadian Second Corps.(as part of operation 'Goodwood') However, the entire population had been forcibly removed previously by the Germans and they returned at a later date....Ian

And just to cofirm the mudgaurd markings, and I know John would welcome any further comments. Ron

Photobucket

Photobucket

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

No information about the bike from this quarter...not my area of expertise. However, the village it came from was forcibly evacuated by the Germans as they turned it into part of a 'Hedgehog' defensive line with mutually supporting fortified villages, farms etc. Initially, the village was taken over temporarily by an SS unit. One family returned and went into hiding and upon their discovery by the SS they were summarily executed.
At the time of Operation 'Goodwood' the village was defended by elements of the 272nd infantry division..a Wermacht unit.
The defensive positions constucted by the Germans of which the village was a part and against which 'Goodwood' was launched are still considered to be a perfect example of defence in depth...thus the reason for the loss of over 150 tanks in the early stages..What was left of the largely destroyed village was 'liberated' on the afternoon of the 19th. July...Ian

Very nice, looks like a Royal Artillery battery marking, and is that gas paint all over the front mudguard?
Rob.

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

Ian, Many thanks that is really interesting information. I can tell you that the markings on the mudguards are for the 1st or P Battery of the Air Landing Light Battery RA. They would have had 11 Lightweight motorcycles in total. Not sure how that equates with the village being taken by the Canadians? Cheers John

email (option): tinley@btinternet.com

Not so far away from the Don Fife chapel I suppose

Nice ones John,

Jo'b

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Hi John..The Canadian part of operation 'Goodwood' was named operation 'Atlantic'. 210, 211 and 212 batteries of the 53rd. Worcestershire Yoemanry Airlanding Light Regiment (RA) were in support of the operation...Ian

I love the Norton John, really nice. I think mine should be brown although it's the contract before yours, but I've done it green. I'd love some more pictures of it if you find time to send me some. Thanks

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Hi John

Here are your two bikes in 2005 when on temporary display at the Juno beach centre.

Rob.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Here's a D-Day picture taken "just behind Juno beach", and showing a James:

Photobucket

By the way, has anybody ever seen D-Day pictures with the Flying Flea?

Jan

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

Great picture Jan, the chap pushing the bike looks a bit embarrassed, I think the one on the left could be taunting him.

Nieuwe pagina 1