Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Matchless G3

hi, I have inherited a Matchless G3 given to me by my father. I know nothing about this bike other than it needs a lot of work. it has a frame number of 3419 and an engine number of 40G36485. Can any one tell me is this a military bike? appreciate any help, and perhaps a date of manufacture. thx

email (option): andrew.honychurch@btinternet.com

Re: Matchless G3

Hi Andrew. Yes that's from the same contract as mine.
4000 machines under contract # C5247. production started in late 39, most were built in 1940. Your engine is from the same contract and could possibly be the engine that was fitted (They didn't have matching numbers).
It should have the tank instrument panel.
Ron

Photobucket

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi Ron,

Thank you very much for the information and what a great bike you have there. sadly, I am going to need a tank , wheels and mudguards! I have them all and it is in one piece but its been in a damp shed for a while and they are not that good. I wonder if anyone has a tank and mudguards? I suspect that wheels will be less of a problem to have my hubs built back into new rims. Would be very interested in seeing some more photos of your wonderful G3, should serve as a stimulant to get mine done. I just found the tax disc holder with all the previous 12 years of tax discs in back to 1948 I think, so getting my number back should be easier than normal! Does the fact that it has a tank unit make it more desirable as it is rarer as a military bike?

Hi again Andy. The WD G3 was just a continuation of the pre war G3 and quite a sporty bike. The first ones to arrive under WO contracts retained the twin front down tubes and tank instrument panel. The single front down tube was soon adopted, followed Later by the deletion of the instrument panel.
Everything can be repaired, but of course you have to weigh up the repair cost against replacement.
Someone like 'Metal Magic' could give you a decision.
I'll email you a few more pics later.

Ron

Hi Andrew, Chris here - we corresponded via eMail about your M20, I didnt know you had a G3 as well - so do I, I too need the tank with instruments two years looking no luck yet - nearly got one from Canada but the vendor dropped off the face of the planet suddenly, I am a little bit luckier inasmuch as I have mudguards - battered but now restored, however I only have the rear wheel and hub and I dont think that that is the correct one for this model of Matchless, drop me a line Ill see what I can do to help with this one too! Point you in the direction of some suppliers for the less difficult parts.
Cheers
Chris C

email (option): c.coxon@blueyonder.co.uk

HI Chris, sent you an e mail. Small world! thx

well after what seems an eternity of waiting I am going to collect the G3 on wednesday. Its been at my fathers and in a shed for what must be 30 years and whilst I recall it when I was younger I was more interested in ZZR1100 Kwackers or similar back then! Anyway, I will post some photos although I realise with apologies thats its off topic. If anyone can help with parts, wheels, mudguards rear rack , tool boxes pls pm me. Photos later this week.

If anyone has motor mounts and tranny plates spare, I'm interested in them. Thanks!

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

It's not off topic Andrew. Look at the heading above. This is the WD Motorcycle Forum.
I think I've got a spare toolbox. I gave it to a one man paint firm locally to match the paint, but he never got back to me, the useless sod! But he should still have the box.....and I know where he lives.....and he knows I know. Ron

well, I got it! apart from a severly trapped little finger she came out of her hiding place and is no safely back in Kent awaiting restoration. Here a couple of photos for those interested.

Photobucket

Photobucket

What's that hiding behind ? Something French ? A Magnette Debon or somesuch ?

Wow! This looks very restorable (and also the front fender!) Good luck!

email (option): snvosselman@hotmail.com

Yes the tin worm has really got at the mudguards but I am sure we can sort it out. The fuel tank is holed and horrible inside, so will need a professional restoration. If anyone can recommend someone who is good please let me know.

The other bike is a 1929 M8 AJS 500cc, although it does look a little French in those photos.

That's a great looking project bike, those G3's look well

My friend has an AJS R8 this side, another fine example of British bike heritage

Good luck with the project

Job

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

I like that Andrew, lots to do but all doable. FD is a Dudley registration so going a long way from home for it.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Well thanks Guys. My father bought this in about 1976 and it has been shoved in a shed since then with the AJS ( i adore the R8 AJS and rather wish mine was the Race version!) The Matchless is pretty much complete and will provide much enjoyment. It should not have the pillion seat but a rack instead and so I will need to find one of those. Will give a report once the resto is under way. Anyone with any nice surplus bits please let me know what you have. thanks

Andrew, great project. It's mostly all there. Terry Roberts is your man (Metal Magic) 01189 731631. Mention my name. Ron

thanks Guys. I cant wait to get started but I have to finish the M20 first!! I will speak with metal Magic in the new year and get the tin work under way, that way it wont hold me up when I get stuck in. One thing Ron, or indeed any other G3 chappies out there, the side stand and the rear stand are both really worn on their pivots. Now I have not investigated but wonder whether it is likelky to be the frame lugs that are worn or whether the bolts tend to let go first. I know I only need to take them off to see but just wondered whether they are known for wearing the frame holes and whether the fix is easier enough. blessed thing fell on me this afternoon as the side stand doesnt hold it up!

Andrew, congrats on getting that rare piece of kit. Ron gave me info on Steven in AMC parts and the lot really goes well with a G3L/G3 resto. My opinion anyway. I would think if the rear section is correct and it seems to be from the photos available, hang on to it and the stand repair should not be a major issue. I hear that a wooden crate underneat the motor can be used although I use one of those small hydraulic bike jacks and it raises the bike as well as makes up for lack of proper stand.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00950191000P?prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2

email (option): unpob@yahoo.com

thanks Henri, I do have the little hydraulic Jack which the M20 is sitting on right now, but it will be used when the BSA is finished. You lost me when you spoke about Ron in AMC parts and the lot going well with a G3 restoration. Am I missing something?

Steve

AMC Classic Spares
Tel: +44 (0)1462 811770
Fax: +44 (0)1462 851035
steven@amcclassicspares.com
www.amcclassicspares.com

Top supplier of all correct bolts, nuts for the G3L as others perhaps, but worked great on my G3L.

email (option): unpob@yahoo.com

Ah, thanks Henri I will check out the company. Good contact information.

well she is nearly stripped in its entirety

Here is a link to the photos for anyone who is interested. i will try to update them as the restoration progresses.

I was rather dismayed to see that the inner chaincase has a massive hole worn in it . Not sure why that has happened , anybody got any ideas? I guess the chain has worn it, but why it would have got so close I cannot tell. At least it means there has been a lot of oil around the engine as a result. Anyway, I now need a chaincase, inner for sure, and I would like an outer as mine is pretty rough. Also need a gearbox tensioner bolt for tightening the primary chain, and any other parts considered. Will I make it our for this season?

That's a wonderful time-warp machine there Andrew. No modern parts at all.

As for the chaincase - most bikes of the era do that. In fact, Nortons can rub both chains at once if the chains are 'hanging' a bit and the case isn't perfectly in line.

I don't know how easy G3/WO cases are to find but I don't think that you should be discarding what you have without a fight. They're part of the bike's history.

Any competent tinsmith could sort them out. If you don't have anyone locally, I'd suggest Terry at 'Metal Magic'.

fair enough advice Rik. I am planning on taking the Petroltank to Metal Magic already as the inside looks like a horror movie. I am sure he can patch the rear chaincase. And I do agree its nicer to try to keep the original parts if possible.

Nieuwe pagina 1