Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
DR helmet to match the bike?

As much as I like my modern crash-hat, it's just not in keeping with the M20. I've had a quick-ish look to see what's out there and with a helmet size of 57/58 Medium (7 3/8 or 7 1/4 ???) it seems limited to a lucky original find as most appear to be of a smaller size or a replica from http://www.ww2-british-militaria.com/shopexd.asp?id=4546

Also, would I want to use and risk damaging a piece of history? Talking of damaging things, is a 65 year-old helmet going to be as strong as a repro?

email (option): lee@twowheelstested.co.uk

Re: DR helmet to match the bike?

Lee that depends on how the repro is made and were....India??
The other factor is that an original helmet is still legal to wear (We have it on good authority from the main man SM) whereas the repro would have to contain the KITE mark and it wouldn't pass the test. Although I doubt PLOD would know the difference or even the exact rules. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I don't think the average Copper would know the difference between a replica and an original DR helmet..they would probably never have seen one.
Originals do turn up in the larger sizes...many of the forum contributors have managed to find one.
However, if the replicas are resonably made..and they look ok...that would save a search in the short term and you could always swap later if a suitable original turns up.
I've worn mine both at home and abroad over the last 11 years and so far it hasn't been an issue with the Constabulary or the Gendarmerie...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

The DR helmet is made of manganese steel (it had to provide ballistic protection as well as impact) so there shouldn't be any deterioration to the shell but obviously a liner or cords which are perished will make it less secure.

They're probably not the safest thing to go bouncing down the road in.

No replica 'pudding basin' helmet is legal as the standards were altered in the early 1970s.

Personally, I'm not convinced that the DR helmet is legal. My understanding is that when helmets were made compulsory, the regulations stated that they had to be approved to British Standard or provide equivalent protection. The BS had been introduced in the 1950s, long prior to compulsion.

I very much doubt that it's possible to demonstrate that a DR helmet provides equivalent protection to a BS approved one.

In the real world, on an appropriate machine, I doubt that there would be a problem but a steel helmet on a race replica would probably result in a fine.

Still, what the hell ? It's not endorsable anyway.

The biggest problem might be the attitude of third party insurers in the event of serious head injuries. They'll wriggle for sure.

What's an 'endorsable offence' Dad?... ...Ian

Ian Wright
What's an 'endorsable offence' Dad?... ...Ian

Erm, until I moved abroad, the only time I didn't have a licence with endorsements was when they took it away from me.

How I used to love the old totting up law.

What is the maximum fine for a helmet law offence ? £50 I think.

Be patient. I found one for my big noggin. Bloke in California had 6 for sale on craigslist a few months back.

email (option): micran1234@yahoo.com

Yes, its about £50 ...after 11 years I am well ahead so if I get nailed I'll just pay the money and carry on regardless..after all there is a war on..We'll never thrash the Jerries if we spend all day worrying about our equipment .Ian

Ian Wright
Yes, its about £50 ...after 11 years I am well ahead so if I get nailed I'll just pay the money and carry on regardless..after all there is a war on...Ian

That's the spirit, carry on in the face of petty officialdom.

How about trying the line "If you lot can't keep the streets clear of rioters throwing bricks, I need a helmet that primarily provides ballistic protection" ?

Do you think that it would help or might it antagonise the rozzers and the beak ?

"The other factor is that an original helmet is still legal to wear (We have it on good authority from the main man SM)"

Having just purchased a Size 7 1/4 1944 dated DR Helmet (a perfect fit for me) I was interested to read the above quote. Are we really sure they are legal to wear these days and, by the way, who is SM?

email (option): dave.stapleton626@virgin.net

SM...Steve Madden..co author of the best military motorcycle reference book and a member of Her Majesties Constabulary....Ian

Ah, that SM

Ta.

I concur what SM has said, I work alongside the Police in a control room and had one of the inspectors get chapter & verse for me (I have it somewhere!) Basically, when the various rules came out about BS standards & kite marks etc, They were not applied retrospectively to any motorcycle helmet in use at the time (otherwise you'd have had the whole country of bikers up in arms) So basically, if it was made as a motorcycle helmet (that cuts out anything altered to suite)and it was legal when it was made, then it's still a motorcycle helmet and still legal.

hi,i thought SM was involvement with whips and chains,BS was bog standard,and a kite was sommat the wifey pulls when you go playing out cheers rick

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

Jim
I concur what SM has said, I work alongside the Police in a control room and had one of the inspectors get chapter & verse for me (I have it somewhere!) Basically, when the various rules came out about BS standards & kite marks etc, They were not applied retrospectively to any motorcycle helmet in use at the time (otherwise you'd have had the whole country of bikers up in arms) So basically, if it was made as a motorcycle helmet (that cuts out anything altered to suite)and it was legal when it was made, then it's still a motorcycle helmet and still legal.

Well I never knew that, you learn something new every day. Any chance of posting the quoted regulation, be handy to keep in your pocket next time your pulled up for "wearing an illegal helmet"

I don't think there's any point carrying such a document! It would be up to the cop to know or check on the law. Otherwise you might as well carry one for every upgrade requirement.
For instance there are still guys around who never took a driving test,but were issued a licence, and even at my tender age? I can tow a trailer and drive a 7.5 ton lorry on my car licence. But the yoof of today can't....It's called Grandfather rights.

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I like that: "Grandfather rights"

email (option): viaconsu # planet dot nl

Yes, fortunately (to date) many new laws have not been applied retrospectively...emissions, noise levels, lighting requirements etc. etc. If they were we wouldn't have to worry about crash helmet types...we wouldn't be able to ride the old bikes anyway.
I listened on the radio today to a report about the number of accidents caused by unskilled people doing home repairs..I think they are trying to convince everybody how dangerous this is in advance of the proposed Euro 'anti tampering' laws that seek to prevent people working on their own vehicles...
God, save us from the law makers..is there a convenient, properly constructed, wall we can line them up against before they really ruin our hobby?. ...Ian

Thanks to you all for the help - I've now made my choice and raided the piggy-bank.
I've plumped for a genuine 1944 example - the same year as my M20. How could I not?
I discovered an un-issued example but left that on the shelf and gone for one that's sat on someones head and possibly seen some sights over the past 67 years - the BSA is a history lesson for me, so I thought the helmet should follow suit.

Plus, I thought a helmet of pensionable age might make me concentrate on the road ahead a bit more. I guess it's a bit like the Billy Connoly joke "We'd all drive safer if we replaced the airbag with a steel spike....)

Thanks Rick.
I found a 7 1/4 at Cobbaton Combat as my 1970 head seems larger than the majority of 1944 helmets. Shame they didn't have a pillion seat for the M20 as well..........

Dave
Jim

Well I never knew that, you learn something new every day. Any chance of posting the quoted regulation, be handy to keep in your pocket next time your pulled up for "wearing an illegal helmet"

I've shifted through my paperwork but can't find it (somewhere safe!!) so I've asked for another copy.
It was the Road Traffic Act 1988 that made it so motorcyclist had to wear helmets that conformed to BS standards (or equivalent) but the stuff on the internet is not ALL the small print of the act.
Once I get it again, I'll post it up.

Nieuwe pagina 1