Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
operating temperature?

Has anyone ever used an infrared thermometer to check the temps on their engines? Never really heard of anyone mention what the safe temp limits are

email (option): micran1234@yahoo.com

Re: operating temperature?

Hi Michael..As far as I know no one has done any work regarding running temperatures.
I would have thought recording the normal running temperature would in itself not really produce any usable information. Engine temperature would have to be continuously recorded once a 'norm' had been determined to be aware of any potentially destructive change. Also the point at which a rise in running temperature became destructive would still not be known (until it happened).
Oil temperature might be a better indicator and would be relatively easy to record on a continuous basis...though the base line and upper safe limits would still have to be determined. It is possible that an oil manufacturer could advise on upper limits. Additionally, fitment of an oil cooler would address the problem if there was one, whereas getting the engine itself to run cooler would be a challenge by any other method..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Yes you are right Ian. I guess I'm just curious as to the temperatures these engines get. I know mine gets so hot I can't touch it more than a very quick tap. But exactly how hot is that? haha I just want to justify a new infrared thermometer too.

email (option): micran1234@yahoo.com

Hi Michael..Well combustion temperatures can be as high as 2000 degrees..some of that is radiated through the engine as wasted heat (energy). Powder coating is done at over 200 degrees and an M20 will comfortably burn that off in the hotter parts of the head and barrel. A B31/33 ,however, does not...so at a guess a surface temperature of 300-350 on the hotter areas?.
Check it out and let us know the results...it would be interesting...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Nieuwe pagina 1