Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
gearbox identification

My gearbox outer cover has broken, so I need an other. (or a complete gear box)
The part number inside reads 66-3103. But in the technical information section I only see 66-3102. Is there a difference ?

John

email (option): john.kater@chello.nl

Re: gearbox identification

hi john,you are probably reading a casting number(part no before machining).can your broken one not be repaired?, can you post a photo cheers rick

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

Dave Plumb from this site is good at those repairs if it's doable. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Good morning Rick,
Since I do not know sending a picture to the Forum, I will send a p.m. to you.

Hello Ron,
Thank you for your advice, but there is a lot of force on that part of the cover.
John

I can repair most damage to the covers, is it the clutch arm broken away? If it is I've done loads of these and they always repair succesfully and you usually can't even tell they've been done, please send a picture and I can soon advise you if it would repair ok.

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Thank Dave, for your fast reply, I will send you a p.m.
Like they say, a picture tells more than a thousend words.
John

Another thing is that my gear box shell has part number 66-3030 but on "pictures-WD M20 parts" There is number 66-3029

John

More and more these M20 parts are being noted with a part number that is 'ONE' away from the listed number. I'm guessing....as has already been stated by myself and others, that this is the number that is cast in at manufacture before any machining or ancillary parts are added... then have it's true stores number allocated.
ie gearbox shell direct from the foundry = 66-3030
after machining 66-3029 is put on the packaging.

Ron

Ron,

You are correct: the casting number is usually one consecutive number different from the official part number. This practice extends to all BSA castings I have encountered, not just WM20's. I bought a big estate of BSA parts 5 years ago and have spent many hours identifying castings. I can't recall if the casting number is one lower or one higher than the part number, or if that sequence varies.

This practice does not extend to Triumph. There, the number cast is the part number, plain and simple.

Jeff

email (option): jjbandoo@aol.com

Ah thanks Jeff! That clears that up. My observations so far, say that the casting number is one above the part number. Ron

hi John,sorry but not something i cant repair,but doesnt seem too bad.i cant tig weld aluminium,but providing you can get at it with the torch,(ie if there is room )someone with the right equipment should be able.i have been shown how to paste photos on the site ,but cant remember how ,so ill get my son to do it then Dave Plumb can have a look.once welded shouldnt be too awkward to skim out or even dress up with a half-round file.is that another weld repair lower in the casing?.the usual failiure is the clutch arm boss.cheers for now rick

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

Hello Rick,
I already sent Dave a p.m. with some pics. And he came up with a possibility. And yes it was welded before So I can do with a new one There was one on E bay a while ago and sold

John

Nieuwe pagina 1