Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1940 Road Fund License

Hi all,

Am doing some research on a picture I have, (Norton B4) and would like to know if in 1940, you could get a quarterly road fund license tax disk, or was it for a whole year only?

The tax disk on the picture says "Expires 31st Dec. 1940"

Just trying to date the picture, and the possibilities if I can pin it down to a month, and then a contract.

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

Re: 1940 Road Fund License

Lex you could get quarterly tax till well past that time. Have a look at this site. I have bought repro tax discs from him and he covers the history.

www.poplargreg.com/

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi Lex, my G3L had a "government vehicle" exemtion disc under the tax discs. This is a white disc with a box in the middle where the "WD or vehicle registration number is logged. Once I have remembered where I have safely stored it, I'll post a pic.
Cheers, Mick.

email (option): mick@motorbikemike.org.uk

Where these war time discs used on military vehicles too? or just for Private cars and bikes?

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Henk WM21 2415
Where these war time discs used on military vehicles too? or just for Private cars and bikes?

Henk

Henk, normally not I would say, WD vehicles were exempt, but if a factory wanted to test their WD bikes on the road, they needed to have it!

So lloking at the enlargement of my tax disk, it looks like a annual one.

But as Rik said, the factory testers might have put any license plate on the bike to test a "special"

Unfortunatly the frame number on the picture is only partially readable, am missing the 2nd digit, so it could be from a number of contracts!

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

Nieuwe pagina 1