Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Balloon Fuel Tank round badges

Am working on this early model, that was once chromed. Still has remnants of the copper on the outside and the shadow of the once round BSA Badges. Any links to what that may have looked in the past? Chrome was also partial with what seems to have been painted side panels.

email (option): unpob@yahoo.com

Re: Balloon Fuel Tank round badges

hi henri,check out bjorns post from july 19 th ,may answer your question cheers rick

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

Actually Henri. If you go to the BSA LINKS page on this site. Then look at LEON'S BSA SITE. He has catalogue pictures of most models through the 30's. Unfortunately most are in B&W I think, but it will indicate a scheme. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thanks guys!

Henri

Hi Henry,

Don't know if this helps but the 1940 civilian balloon tank on the M20/21 had oval badges from brass. These were fixed with 2 small screws on the side of the badge and by threadholes in the tank.

By my knowlegde the M23/24 tank had round transfers instead of metal badges, so no need for the threadholes but they probably used the same tank. Does you tank has a panel ?? Regards, Michiel

email (option): m.wijbenga@hotmail.com

Hi Michael,

No panel in the tank, and no location for a badge to be attached, there is a round trace of where a transfer used to be located on the chromed area. Will use the round transfer as available in one of the sites listed by Ron.

Thanks!

Work in progress, still have to sand and paint the primer.PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Henri,

In 1939 BSA used two types of transfers. A round very stylish one and the familiar oval. I have 2 1939 catalogues and one is indicated as being second edition. The other one, presumably the early one hasthe round transfer pictures whereas the second edition has the oval ones. Maybe your petrol tank is of the early 1939 models.

regards,
Leon

email (option): leonhop3@planet.nl

Thanks for that Leon, thought to use it on the M21 unit and saw your photos on your website, very helpful. Ordering four badges from one of the website provided by Ron, let me know if there is another place for these until the website comes back to me. Have a third tank and cleaning up another 8 inch lamp. That third tank, however, has the location for the screw on badges. I did not wish to copy and paste your photo of the 1939 M21 without permission.

Henri,

Copy the picture if you like. I like it when people use the information I collected over the years.

Regards,
Leon

email (option): leonhop3@planet.nl

Here are the two photos found on Leon's site:
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Great references!

Nieuwe pagina 1