Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rear Number Plate and Light

Im planning to make this bike road legal, so im being careful about what im fitting to it.

This particular bike has a build date of 1940 (although not all the parts are from this date).

The rear mudgaurd is the 2-part type - non ribbed.

Whats everyones opinion on the 'correct' number plate for this bike? The one with the little light to the right of the plate, or the one with the light mounted at the top?

Also - does anyone know the legal requirement for the rear light for UK vehicles? I.e. size / brightness?

Finally, i'm making the assumption that it will need to have a brake light fitted by law?

Thanks in advance!

email (option): adh325@hotmail.com

Re: Rear Number Plate and Light

there are arguments as to if the bike was not fitted with a brake light it wouldnt need one for the MOT and then the MOTer would fail it for not having a brake light i think it is best to have a brake light for safety there are vintage light which have been modifide to take a brake light so that they still look ok try www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu they have a selection

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Have a look at the Technical section of the website: rear brake light switch
Here in the Netherlands my bike type: BSA M20 was technically approved in 1939 and in those days had no brake light. So for the Dutch MOT it was not needed. But in order to stay alive, I mounted one...

email (option): viaconsu # planet dot nl

Andy, the requirements in the UK (taken from the Motorcycle and Sidecar Tester's Manual) appear to be that

No lights at all are required if you only use the bike during daylight hours and in reasonable visibility (a "daylight MOT"). I'll assume you don't want to go that way.

A brake light is not required for motorcycles first used before 1936, but must work if fitted. So you will need one for your bike and it must be in working order. It only needs to work off one brake control (normally the rear), not both.

I can't find any requirements for the size or shape of the rear light but it must be working, properly secured, facing the rear, not more than 50% obscured, and not so damaged or deteriorated that its function is impaired. You also need a separate reflector if one is not incorporated into the lamp. I would not blame the MOT examiner if he issued you an advisory note regarding a pathetically small light, but I don't think he can fail you on it if it is in good condition and shines brightly.

So I believe the answer is you can fit whatever you like without taking the mickey. A period Lucas lamp, modified to incorporate brake light, ought to be fine.

ChrisJ

hi andy,another option would be to fit a normal lucas rear lamp with brake light and number plate illumination and have bullet connections .with the mt110 lamp fitted to the right hand side of your plate there must be enough room to fit a lucas one with just two screw holes near to the centre,then if you are showing the bike whip off the lucas lamp and connect up the mt110,appart from two small holes nobody would know cheers rick

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

i have this one on my bike on a piece of mdf with the number plate which i can remove for shows

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

I have seen the number plates on e bay as well..try 'BSA M20' or 'Vintage' in motorcycle parts and accessories...I can't remember how much they were!...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Or in the UK, phone Alan Swainson on 01255 678503.

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Nieuwe pagina 1