Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Website picture

If anyone has a knackered non panel tank G3 they'd like to donate? Ian has an engine and gearbox that I'm sure he'll give to me. Then I can build one of these. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Re: Website picture

I've thought about that very project myself as I have a spare B30 engine and gearbox without a home. Interestingly, it has the mag mounted alternator and lighting system with the odd headlamp that was all(unsuccessfully) used on the first 50 B30s. The exhaust system is also B30 as were the primary chaincases I believe. They also appear to have modified the frame to produce the distinctive 'kink' that clears the BSA oil pump housing in the crankcase and BSA footrests are fitted...Now THAT is a properly sorted Matchless...
Any chance of mailing me the picture Henk?...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Hi guys, here's a pic of the other side-
Photobucket
A friend and I are already on the case, I have a fair amount of a G3 rolling chassis, a knackered M20 subframe for the bottom rails, a B30 engine and box.
The Matchless/Ariel I have has given us a fairly good idea how to do it.
Cheers, Mick.

email (option): mick@motorbikemike.org.uk

Hi Mick..So there could be two of them!...maybe I should go for the Enfield or Norton version?...Ian

Hi Ian, here's the Enfield version-
Photobucket
But why not try this version?-
Photobucket
That is a fantastic looking scrambles version.
Cheers, Mick.

Hi Mick, That last picture is the nearside of the 'India Office' B30 prototype. Some of these are new photos I haven't seen before..Do you have the Norton/B30 as well..and any chance of mailing me copies?..You'll have fun when you try to find a cluch to fit on it unless you have the original clutch sleeve..and then it has the poorly constructed 6 spring BSA type clutch. I did a lot of modifications and fitted a Triumph clutch to my B30..Ian

Hi Ian, sorry, no pics of the Norton version, yet.
Will mail you what I have this evening. Luckily I found a centre in the junk we have at work. That clutch is also a problem on the '46-8 b group as well. Any chance you are going to produce your adaptor, I think it would sell, as we have been asked if the Triumph clutch would fit them quite a few times.
Cheers, Mick.

Hi Mick...It was not that simple I'm afraid, as the cost of manufacturing the clutch sleeve (adaptor) would have been much too high. There is an enormous amount of machining in these and they have to be hardened and finish ground as well for the Triumph clutch rollers.
The problem is the short mainshaft on the B Series box and its effect on alignment...niether the Triumph or M20 clutches and sleeves will fit...or later BSA sleeves for that matter.
I used a combination of parts along with some 'one off' stuff...it took me a fair while just to work it out!
I think I may still have a NOS standard clutch sleeve in the shrapnel box..I didn't use it as I wanted the Triumph clutch..or I can give you some details of what I did when you get to it...Ian

I see where you are coming from Ian, I will probably persevere with the six spring. I suppose the same problem will appear on the B29 project I'm helping with!
Cheers, Mick.

Yep...Exactly the same problem with the B29. .. did you get the spare B30 engine from the guy with the B29..or is this another one? If it is I'd be interested to know the engine number...If you have an engine in the 900 upwards range it may well be one from a GPO contract.. To date I believe the engine numbers for the 'hybrids' were as follows..WB30 522 into a 16H Norton, 523 into an Ariel WNG, 540 into a Model G Royal Enfield, 566 into a G3 Matchless..An additonal 3 machines were also sent to AMC..this may have been to have AMC engines and other components fitted.Ian

Hi Mick..Also do you have steel or aluminium rocker covers and coil or hairpin valve springs..and is there a breather in the timing cover as well as the crankcases?...Ian

Interesting pic's!! does anyone know what frame number C4337785 had?

My Matchless Enigma machine calculates 15777 is that right??

Mick any chance sending me the pic's also?

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

Hi Lex, I'll send what I have, but I think I will have to shrink them or something, it took about 2 hours to send Ian four pics! And theres more to send. Bare with me.
Cheers, Mick.

Nieuwe pagina 1