Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
rear chain cam

Anyone have a photo or diagram showing the correct location of the rear cam used for chain adjustment? Or if not, a detailed description of how the cam itself works? Mine tightens when I turn the adjustment bolt clockwise, and losens when turned anti-clockwise. Which is backwards from the manual. I'm concerned my cam is located in the wrong place, or installed backwards (from a previous owner, I've yet to remove the rear wheel). Thanks!

Craig

email (option): cpdoberstein@gmail.com

Re: rear chain cam

Sounds like the cam is installed in reverse

There is an illustration somewhere, if i find it i'll send to you via mail

Best regards

Jo'b

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

The cam fits on 2 flats of the stub axle, and could easily be flipped over. I suppose it would work either way, the snail cam pushes on a fixed peg in the rear frame lug, and pushes the axle back as it rotates.
On my M20, my issue in this area concerns the stripped stud hole for the rear mudguard stays on the left side, so I've had to fit a nut on the stay stud. It looks from forst view that the nut will foul the snail cam, so I may have to come up with an alternate solution.

email (option): vinver#ns.sympaticodotca

Thanks guys. Sounds like it is on backwards, but I wanted to confirm before going through the effort of removing the rear wheel. I thought it might work in reverse, but upon closer inspection I think (on my setup) the cam is hitting the rear stand before it can fully rotate around. Damn, sounds like the rear wheel is coming off...

email (option): cpdoberstein@gmail.com

Fitting the cam the wrong way round is a mistake a lot of us have made .
It will still adjust the wheel ok. But will normally interfere with the rear stand, and keep it from rising to it's correct riding position Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Ron is right...you will need to fit the cam so that the chain is tightened when the cam is turned anti clockwise to avoid interfering with the rear stand when the wheel is adjusted back towards its full movement...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thanks guys. Can't say I enjoyed removing the rear wheel unexpectedly, but I can happily say the cam WAS on backwards, but is now back where it belongs. Much easier to adjust the chain tension this way! Thanks again for the always helpful input from this forum.

Craig

I'm ready to re-install my rear wheel assembly- so what way does the cam go on exactly

email (option): vinver@ns.sympatico.ca

Vincent if you picture the cam so that it pushes the wheel back by turning it anti clockwise. So the widest part at the top. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Nieuwe pagina 1