Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
M20 'split skirt' pistons

I recently fitted a 'split skirt' type piston, a NOS item manufactured originally by Heplex, to an M20.
These pistons run a far tighter skirt clearance than the .004"~.006" of the standard 'solid skirt ' type.
(.0007"~.0027").
Implications of running a tighter tolerance are obvious from the point of view of reduced mechanical noise and potential reductions in oil consumption and piston 'blow by', at least during the 'warm up' period. I'm guessing with both types ultimate piston clearance at normal running temperatures will be broadly similar.
The 'split' takes the form of an angled slot through the piston skirt, on the front thrust face, with a small hole drilled at the end of the slot to prevent it 'spreading'.
When the piston warms up expansion is absorbed by the slot closing up a little rather than an increase in overall piston diameter..thus the tighter bore clearance.
I have looked at standard type solid skirt pistons and can see no reason why they could not be altered to the 'split skirt' type..However, I would be interested in anyones view on this before I try it as I may have missed something!...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Re: M20 'split skirt' pistons

Sounds reasonable to me Ian. I can easily clamp them in my workmate and run the old angle grinder cutting disc up them for you.
Seriously, would you not have to try one and then do some heat test measurements? Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Re: M20 'split skirt' pistons

I bought two split skirt M20 pistons some years ago and used one which wore out quite fast. I sold the other one to a friend (?) of mine who used it for many years and miles.

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Nieuwe pagina 1