Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tank numbers

If a bike was conscripted into service, what was the procedure for assigning a 'C' number to this vehicle?

Thanks
Gerard

Re: Tank numbers

There is a list of impressed serial numbers at the back of O&M's book. But no way of working them out I'm afraid.
I have been told that the serial number was simply stamped on the crankcase (not painted on the bike) I know a few have come to light and I have actually just done some work on such an AJS for a friend. Ron

Photobucket

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Blocks of numbers were issued to:-
Allied units
Local purchase
Requisitioned
Impressed
Aquired?
Captured
Rebuilt

These two books "No.2001" and "No.2002" list them, and I wouldn' be without my copies.

http://www.robvanmeel.nl/?q=catalog/301

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

Rob, can you work out a serial number against chassis number from these books? Before I part with more money to RVM. Ron

No Ron sadly you cannot, but you can at least pick a number from an appropriate block.

Just think how silly you would look if you put a number from a captured Tiger tank on a 1940 Autocycle which had previously been owned by a district Nurse!

OK on than Rob.
But you can glean that information for motorcycles from Steve's book. Ron

Some of the District Nurses I have met look like they might own a Tiger tank.. ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

" A blanket bath, Nurse ? Oh, very well then..."

Photobucket

Is that medical equipment or tools for the bike in her bag..? That's a very small Tiger tank Rik

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

That's Ben Dover's maiden aunt and she's coming to prick your boil if you're not careful, you cheeky young man !

OOOOWWWWWW Matron! Boil his what?

Blimey, lets see if this thread can be dragged back to reality

Gerard is your bike a KM21 or WM21?

Rob

Spoilsport
OK Rob how about this line of civy painted impressed AJ's. Clearly they have painted the C number on the number plate. (Taken from Gavin Birch's book) Ron

Photobucket

Nieuwe pagina 1