Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Engine just stops

Hi folks,
my M20 has recently developed the really annoying habit of going out when I have to stop, e.g. on a traffic light. This occurs especially on really hot days and only during low rpm's - actually it feels like running out of gas. After stopping I can't get her running again. I suppose it's a kind of overheating and what I found out so far, it could either be the carb or the magdyno, right ?
Would be great if you could give me some hints...

Best regards,
Marcus

Re: Engine just stops

Hi, does the engine still have compression when it stops ?

This sounds like vapor lock. Have you got the carb spacer?

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

Hi Marcus..I think you more or less answered your own question..If you don't have a heat insulator spacer between the carb and cylinder you need one. Fit that and see what changes. If you do have one, or it remains unchanged after fitting one, I would begin to suspect a magneto in trouble.
Check the spark when cold and again when hot..you should have a strong blue spark at the plug under all conditions...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

there was the same problem someone else had it starts on page 9 of the forum

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Hi everyone,

first of all thanks a lot for your replies - it seems like I've been looking in the right direction here.
I've got a spacer on my carb, so I think I can rule that one out. The engine still has compression after it stops, so I will test the ignition spark the next time.
Again, many thanks for your quick replies !!

Best regards,
Marcus

Nieuwe pagina 1