Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
WD footrests

A double question,
A while ago I bought a pair of driver footrests from Domiracer, they look original and have casting number. Finish was a thin black paint,Now I see some on e-Bay that I assume are repro, they look exactly the same, so I wonder if they are just new old stock? If not, what's the quality of the repro parts compared to original, and how do I tell the difference?
As for the passenger pegs, I had one missing when I got the bike, found a pair that were supposedly original "with the original bolts" but the bolts are UNF thread and won't fit my frame lug. But for all intents, the footrest is exact in dimensions as the known original, ans has green paint under the globby black finish. So I am also wondering if it could be a repro? Are the near- and off-side passenger pegs the same dimensions, or did they make one longer on the right to clear the toolbox?
OK that's more than 2 questions then..
Vince

email (option): vinver#ns.sympatico.ca

Re: WD footrests

hi vince, did you not read all the answers to your original post? personally i think that it would be very un-profitable to re-manufacture the front pegs, damage due to falling off may render them useless,but kept tightened up i think one set should last a lifetime ,i may be proved wrong cheers rick

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

rick
hi vince, did you not read all the answers to your original post? personally i think that it would be very un-profitable to re-manufacture the front pegs, damage due to falling off may render them useless,but kept tightened up i think one set should last a lifetime ,i may be proved wrong cheers rick

Maybe I'm getting senile but I don't recall asking the question about driver footpegs before tonight, ? I can't imagine the front footrests, being a casting , would be easily repro'd, but the rear ones would be quite easy to do. Even with my simple resources.
Yes I just read the other responses re the passenger footpegs, which confirmed my thought, I just missed it with all the sale excitement going on right now
Cheers, Vince

Hi Vince..the footrests on e bay are Indian replicas. If they have followed their usual practice they will be cast, not forged and if that is the case they are not suitable for the job, being far too brittle.
Personally I would buy Henks set...
The pillion footrests should be OK with the substitution of a correctly threaded bolt.
Other components that have been produced this way by the Ghandis include rear brake drum/ sprockets (M20 and others)which shed their teeth, rear stand lugs (on BSA stands) and stand legs on Norton and Triumph (which snap), footrest support tubes (M20) which work ok as they are supported by the footrest bar, and girder fork lugs (dangerous)...no doubt there are more...
This stuff is being deliberately mis sold in many cases by the use of non specific language...ie Lucas type switch..original style footrests etc. etc. and often the inclusion of an original part number in the description....and British dealers are as guilty as the Indians...I have seen Indian regulators (mis)described as a 'quality replacement to original specification' which is simply not true. Also an M20 rear carrier described as an 'exact replica' which didn't even have the arch and brackets to support the pillion seat!!..it's a minefield!
.....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Ian is quite right, the Indians are replicating (poorly) most parts. You can tell the repro front rests as the pattern where you put your foot can be faint and weedy, where as originals are very well defined.
We do sell their regulators, but we list them as only suitable for gutting to fit a modern unit inside. Pity really, as most of their parts are actually around 85-90% correct. But the 10-15% which is wrong is a BIG 10-15%, usually structural! If using their footrests, don't stand on them while in motion, if fitting a stand, don't use it to support your pride and joy!
Cheers, Mick.

email (option): mick@motorbikemike.org.uk

Hi Horror..it is never safe to completely generalise when talking about Indian replica parts..there are multiple manufacturers over there. The problem is sorting out the good stuff (and there is some) from the rest.Only time will tell with your sprocket... The M20 sprocket I came across had shed 4 teeth in a very short period of time..After removal from the bike I broke it up with a hammer quite easily and it was easy to identify the material as cast iron...a material not able to cope with the loads imposed on it in the narrow cross section of a sprocket tooth. Originals are steel, probably EN19T or similar.
In the absence of a good quality replica looking at the possibility of re toothing the original is probably the best course of action.. As a matter of interest the Indian regulator does not have the bi metal strip fitted to the Lucas original. This adjusts the performance of the regulator, which alters as the unit warms up during operation, by utilising the effect of differential expansion..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Oh B*LL*CKS.... I throw the old one away as the teath were completely hooked..! I hord everything and thought there's nothing I can do with that, it can go in the scrap bin. I did think after that I could have machined the teath off and kept it as a spare front brake hub on a 16H. On the box of the Indian one it says Tinku Madbull made in India. I notice it's the same company (or box) as the replica headlights that are about. I've just gone to the garage and had a look at the sproket and there are pit holes in the casting. Would this indicate cast iron..? I don't know. All I can do now is wait and see if it's ok

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

A rear brake drum can be fixed. Look at this rather rare 1939 1940 brake drum with new sprocket waiting to be fitted, it only needs machining and welding. BSA made it easy for me as replacement sprockets were available and I am lucky enough to have a few.

Henk

BSA Sprocket 1

BSA Sprocket 2

BSA Sprocket 3

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

dont panic, theres a number of companies that will make and re fit new sprockets to brake drums in good old blighty...
i've had a couple of nortons done a few years ago with great results.

email (option): chris.astinbarker@btinternet.com

hi vincent,sorry i had senility once but my syphilis cured it,it was maxwells post'' footrest splines'' not yours about rear footrests,i do ajoppolze, oh shit mi dizlexyaz juzt kikt in ,cheerz rick

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

I'm going to assume my replacement footrests are original, possibly blasted and repainted. I bought them 5+ years ago from Accessory Mart/Domiracer in Cincinatti, Ohio USA who used to have a HUGE pile of NOS M20 stuff, but it seems to be pretty thin there now. The driver footrests look very good, crosshatching is well defined, part number is clear on the mounting lug. Just thin black paint to indicate maybe not original BSA but could be repainted? Maybe I'll put the grinder to a casting ridge on the inside edge and watch the sparks to see what material it is made from, now where did I put my metallurgy textbook??

Vince

That's great that the drum can have a new sproket attached... too late for mine though as it's in the bin. It just shows you, don't throw anything away with these old bikes, no matter how knackered you think it is..!

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Nieuwe pagina 1