Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
First-time Normandy visitor - where should I go?

Hi All.

We're staying near the D-Day beaches next week and having never been before, I wondered if there are any recommendations?
I've had a quick look on't 'net and I'm guessing that Arrowmanche/Pegasus Bridge is a must-see but the 360 Cinema might not be for the kids who are 9 & 3.
'Er Indoors has suggested the Bayeux Tapestry - help!

email (option): lee@twowheelstested.co.uk

Re: First-time Normandy visitor - where should I go?

In my experience Lee, a chap holidaying with the family needs to throw in at least something requested by the rest of 'em. Token gesture sort of thing.

Best advice is to get the family bits out of the way now and come back unencumbered except by the M20 in June 2014.

Are your interests with the British beaches rather than the U.S. ?

Hi Lee

There are lots of interesting places in Normandy but just a few of the best would be.

Arromanches Beach and Museum (lots of Mulberry info).
Battery longue with its original guns.
Pegasus Bridge & Museum.
Bayeux Cemetery but the Museum is not as good as it used too be.
Omaha Beach and US Cemetery.
St Mere Eglise, Church and Museum.
La Cambe, German Cemetery.

Have a great time. Rob.

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

And the Juno Beach Centre at Courseulles of course
And was the Pointe du Hoc already mentioned....?

email (option): viaconsu # planet dot nl

I would totally agree with Rob's list of main venue's for a first time short visit, and whilst in Bayeux you could take your wife to the cathedral and tapestry.....unless you can think of a way out of it
But there will be nothing like the atmosphere that is present around D Day! Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Depending on how mobile you want to be....the recently uncovered gun emplacements at Grandchamp Maisy is great fun for the kids,,lots of trenches to explore, and St Mere Eglise / Omaha Beach...for a taste of the Yanks.and the Crisbec Batteries.. not to mention the excellent museum at Quineville...how many months have you got. !

email (option): edd@abbottracing.com

A brownie-point earning trip to Bayeux first for the Cathedral & tapestry, and then play things by ear I guess. Ta for all the tips.
D-Day 2014 sounds good - hopefully I'll get used to the gearchange being where it is by then. 30+ years of riding Japanese bikes makes me have to concentrate when I'm out! Arrowmanche beach in 2014 and I'll probably still be chanting "Right foot gears, left foot brake..." inside my helmet.

email (option): lee@twowheelstested.co.uk

Nieuwe pagina 1