Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The difference between Indian made pannier frames and the real deal.

I will follow this post with photos if need be. I am trying to determine if my frames are repros. If they are indeed real I will work to restore them.

Can anyone tell me of a "dead give away" to be sure of which ones I have? Also wondering where I might find the big brass wing nuts that hold the support arms in place.

Cheers,

Michael

email (option): micran1234@yahoo.com

Re: The difference between Indian made pannier frames and the real deal.

Hi Michael...Not being totally familiar with the Indian replicas I don't know of a 'giveaway' difference. I am told the Indian replicas are quite good, but...
Most likely differences (apart from the basic dimensions, hole positioning etc.) will be material gauges, details of the D rings,ring brackets and rivetting and details of the side arms and rivetting. A few pictures and dimensions will probably be needed to determine whether yours are originals....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

The trouble is that "Originals" were made from the early 1940s until the 1960s, I have one frame dated 1957.

They were made by several companies and were available new on the civilian market after the war, and they varied a lot in style.

Since then lots of companys and individuals around the world have reproduced then in varying quantities and qualities.

So its not just a case of "Original WW2" or "Indian copy".

Rob

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

It looks like it may be another part on the 'fitted post war' list along with rear frames, MU42 headlamps, MCR2 regulators, Later dynamos?, post war horns,fire extinguishers, green pannier bags?, postwar registration plates, workshop plates, batteries..etc. etc.?..and all of the above could be justifiably described as 'original fitment' during the service history of the bike and therefore 'Kosha' fitments.
Life just got more complicated...a rivet counters paradise!! ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Bloody hell....

Well I just straighten mine up and forget about it. They cant be that horrible far from something good then. I'm also guessing there is nowhere to buy those large wingnuts?

If you google Large Brass Wing nuts then I think that you will find that Mainline Supplies have almost exactly what you want

regards Jon

Brilliant. Many thanks. I will repost some time soon with extensive photos of my frames and see what you folks think

Nieuwe pagina 1