Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Is this a WM20 part??

Clearing out a box with parts that I got with my BSA.....can't figure out where this goes. Or is it not BSA?

Markings in rubber say:

With 3 2.4 tyre
DR co LTD
WD M3 RIM

Something with the wheel? Anyone has a clue?

Thanks allot!

Jacco

Re: Is this a WM20 part??

That's tyre clamp, used on military m20's. There is a second hole in the centre of your rim that looks like a tyre valve hole, but it's actually for this thing. Not very handy when you have a flat tyre.

Henk.

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

So,...then, what does it actually do? Don't right get it.

Picture of usage available anywhere on the web?

DR is Dunlop Rubber company and they're generally called tyre security bolts.

It is inserted inside the tyre beads and tightens the beads against the inside of the rim. It is intended to prevent tyre creep ripping valves out of inner tubes.

The tyres of the period had very rigid side walls and if run at pressures low enough to provide good grip off-road (6 psi or so) then the tyres had a habit of moving round the rim.

As mentioned in a thread a few days ago, modern tyres, even look-alikes have softer sidewalls and are run at much higher pressures so the security bolts are not really needed.

Anyone who has ever been on their knees in liquid mud trying to get a security bolt out beside a bike balanced on an old log will know why the disappearance of the bolts is not universally mourned.

Great Rik, I'll keep the part on the shelve then! Nice to know it is original to my bike!

Thanks. Jacco

Nieuwe pagina 1