Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Newbee needs trouble shooting help on Clutch WM20

Hi everyone.

New to to the BSA scene (Jeepguy)I'm having troubles with rebuilding my clutch. Bought below bike with clutch problems.

http://www.wdbsa.nl/visitors%20bikes/149%20Jacco%20van%20Snippenberg.jpg

I have replaced the following:

-all drive and friction plates
-push rod (it was a 2 piece when I bought it)

The rest seems to be in good shape. But I can not find out why my BSA will not declutch

I've screwed the rod in the clutch lever to the max.

I test by putting it in 4th, declutch and then try to kickstart.

No matter how far or how loose I screw the central clutch retaining nut on the clutch sleeve the rear wheel keeps turning when I kickstart.

Can anyone help me step by step top find the cause?

-can it be the clutch cable? to long?
-push rod to short? (bought from BSA de Groot)

Any help and thoughts are welcome....for now I am out of ideas....
Thanks allot,

Regards, Jacco from Netherlands!

email (option): vansnippenberg@yahoo.com

Re: Newbee needs trouble shooting help on Clutch WM20

If the clutch rod was a two-piece one, there should have been a steel ball between the two halves.
Moreover, do you have the one in the clutch lever between the adjusting screw and the clutch rod? Especially that one is easily lost, DAMHIK..
Where do you live in our beautiful, wet country?
Hans

email (option): viaconsu # planet dot nl

Hi Hans,

I live in Friesland..up North.

There was indeed a steel ball between the 2 piece clutch rod when I took it out. But wanted to replace it by a one piece to make it back to original.

the steel ball between the clutch rod and screw is also there...

I just read a story about repro clutch plates are to thick? I got mine from De Groot.

Is it an idea to remove one plate? (which one?) or should it work anyway?

Would really like to get the job done,...and finding the real problem rather then modify to make it work.

Thanks.

Jacco

Hi Jacco, Take a look at the 'technical section' of the website..there is a lengthy piece there about working on the clutch. It includes info. on clutch plate thickness and which ones to remove to help things along...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

has the clutch basket/chain wheel have a lot of play in it if so it could be due to mm ball bearings instead of 1/4" ball which are slightly larger and i have taken out 1 set of plates out to cure my clutch drag problems

Your not trying to kickstart it in gear with the clutch held in are you? You can only do that on some japanese bikes!

@ Roger,

interesting, do not know how much play tyhere should be, but I'll have a look at the small roller bearings for sure.

Good news is that with some adjustments on the clutch cable, the clutch seems to come free. Hope it is good enough...Keep you updated!

Thanks so far!

Jacco

there should be the smallest amount you can get i understand that there is some play even when they were new even though both my inner and outer races looked ok a nos hub and i managed to find a clutch basket outer race which i swapped into the best basket/chain wheel to make the best i could get even then it is not perfect would still crunch first gear until i took out a set of plates

you dont say weather it a one spring or a six spring clutch single spring ferodo replacment inserts areslightly thicker so youwill have to remove one plate and one ferodo disc p/s any oil getting on tothe ferodo disc.s will stick the whole clutch together I found that whilst bike was stood oil drained from tank into sump and into primary chain case stuck clutch together unable to select any gear at all when bike running hope this is of help william

"I test by putting it in 4th, declutch and then try to kickstart.

No matter how far or how loose I screw the central clutch retaining nut on the clutch sleeve the rear wheel keeps turning when I kickstart"

I think Douglas has it right. You need to be in neutral to kick the bike over without the rear wheel rotating.
Pete

email (option): petercomley@web.de

if its a single spring clutch the large castleated middle nut should be done up tight put it in neutral pull the clutch lever the plates should part and you can not kick the bike over as the clutch slips

Nieuwe pagina 1