Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
what the $!%$# why is it stopping part 3

HI all,

So my bike has been stopping when climbing a long slow hill. Can't figure it out. You all mentioned it might be piston nipping or carbon buildup (see earlier post). I took off the head to check out the carbon and see any damage. I have uploaded pics and any help would be appreciated. Also double checked the timing and it is fine. (1944 BSA M20)

https://picasaweb.google.com/115674442219018009194/July232011

email (option): jeff@infinitymedspa.com

Re: what the $!%$# why is it stopping part 3

hi jeff,nice family,you've loads of kids but no m20s cheers rick

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

did i do something wrong, i just double checked and I thought it was okay. Let me know if it doesn't work.

I can't comment about the piston Jeff......But the wife and baby look great. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi Jeff no bike pics in your album but real cute baby.

Could it be fuel starvation, apologies if its already been discussed I had an old Ford Popular that some malicious sod had thrown a handfull of corn down the petrol filler, every time I went uphill above about 15% the engine would conk out due to corn grains blocking the fuel pipe, have you checked the mesh fuel strainers on your petrol stopcocks or check the tank for debris in the bottom?

Thats all I can think of....

Cheers, Chris C.

email (option): c.coxon@blueyonder.co.uk

I have had fuel starvation on bikes in the past, bike going along well and suddenly cut out. After scratching my head for a while at the side of the road it started again and went ok. Then cut out again. It was only that the bike had clear petrol pipes and I saw them filling up that I realised what the problem was. Brand new taps were closing up. I openned the tap and ran a drill bit inside until it was clear. Take the pipe off the tap and turn it on to see that you have a propper flow.
But I'm still thinking it's the piston nipping up as I have heard of this with pattern pistons being slightly bigger that the specified size. You'll only know for sure when you take the barrel off. You wont see anything wrong with just the head off. Good luck

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Hi Jeff, With only the cylinder head off you can't really see what is going on if the piston has nipped up...other than with the piston at bottom dead centre you might see some marking of the cylinder walls.
You will need to remove the cylinder as well to take a look at the thrust faces of the piston (front and back)
The damage caused can range from light scuffing of the surface of the piston through to severe damage to the surface both above and below the piston rings and damage to the piston ring grooves/ lands. In that case you may also find aluminium deposits stuck to the corresponding part of the cylinder wall.
Very light damage can be rectified by cleaning up the surface of the piston with a very smooth file.
Abrasive paper should not be used as their is a risk of the abrasive particles becoming embedded in the surface of the piston.
A light hone will sort out the cylinder if there is no deep scoring.
If the surface damage is more extensive a new piston will be required at least..and possibly a rebore if the cylinder faces are damaged/ scored. If damage to the bore is slight and it measures up within wear limits a light hone to clean the surface will do.
You will need to remove the valve lifter assembly before attempting to remove the cylinder..failure to do so will damage the exhaust tappet head. It can be unscrewed as a complete assembly after removing the cable..spanner size for the fitting screwed into the barrel is 20mm.
Also don't forget there are 5 cylinder holding down nuts..the fifth one is located inside the tappet chest.
When you lift the cylinder, but before the piston is exposed, place some clean rag or paper over the crankcase mouth to catch any broken rings/debris that may be there, this will prevent it falling into the cases.
Apologies if I am telling you what you already know...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

thanks for the great advice as always. I just uploaded the pics and I am hoping someone see something easy that I am missing.

Jeff, I'm only seeing family-related albums as well. No two-wheeled stuff.

re petrol flow does it happen with both taps on i had to push my bike to a petrol station as the reserve tap was blocked

Nieuwe pagina 1