Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
BSA M20 DISTANCE PIECE ON TOP OF FORK SPRING

I would like to know the length of the distance piece on top of fork spring, thanks.

Re: BSA M20 DISTANCE PIECE ON TOP OF FORK SPRING

Oddly, I asked the same question last week, and 3/4 inch seems to be the height of it. If you look down the thread postings to last week you should see the post.
Vince

email (option): bsa3man@rocketmail.com

Ok Vincent, thank you.

email (option): aleaja79@hotmail.com

hi alex ,if you go to the home page ,click pictures ,the last item bsa m20 parts,go to the girder fork section ,list the part number of the one you want and ill measure it for you. i have a dismantled set to hand. cheers rick

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

Sorry Rick but in those pictures don't appear the distance piece. I am going to send you a e-mail with a pdf catalogue where appears, thank you.

Alex, I'm guessing this is the bit you are referring to?

If so, the dimensions are:

Height - 11/16"
Width at the narrow section 3/4"
Width at the wide section - 1 +11/16"
Hole Dia - 3/8"

I will send you pictures of several views to assist you to copy it accurately.

email (option): rays54@hotmail.com

hi alex, i now have them in my hand. the piece ray has photographed is as he says but underneath on the flat side is a small hole to locate on a pin which mates with a pin on top of the fork spring holder(the piece with the spiral groove that screws into the fork spring)the hole looks to be 5/32''diameter and about 1/8'' deep,i have no caliper here its at work.this hole is off centre by 5/8''.the bolt has a head diameter of 7/8'' and is 5/16''long,the shank of the bolt is 3/8'' diameter and is 1.13/16 long under the head and is threaded 3/8 bsc for 5/8 of its length. there is a small pin on the underside of the bolt head ,mine is slightly flattened,but i presume this pin locates in a hole drilled into the bottom of the top spring holder.i would sy it is 5/16''off centre ,my spring holder is rusted into the spring so will need some persuasion.hope this helps any more questions please ask.russell motors list all girder fork parts on their web site pdf ,they are in london ,but i believe thy dont answer the phone,you need to fax or e-mail your order or enquiry. where are you based ? cheers rick

There must be variations on this as on mine this spacer has no hole for a pin as per this photo. The only pin is on the bolt in your description - very necessary as the 'bolt' has a round head and is recessed in the course threaded piece.

The pin in the top fork spring bolt fits into the back of the fork spring scroll, the spacer under discussion should be undrilled.. The flat plate with the pin hole in it fits under the lower fork spring scroll to act as a 'stop' for the fork spring...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Very good, now I don't have any doubt.
Thanks for the help!!

That's great, very useful, way more info than I received last week. Everybody must have been on summer vacation.
Vince

email (option): bsa3man@hotmail.com

Vincent, check your email as well - I sent a photo of the bolt with dimensions for you last night.

Thanks Ray, I can make up the spacer but will have to think on that bolt- why is it needed to peg it, I should be able to fit a thin spanner through the spring and use a regular bolt? Until I can find the right bits.
Cheers, Vince

Vince... I notice on my bolt that the head is larger with one side ground away so the bolt does not turn, this might save fiddling in an awkward space with small spanner.

...And I also am looking for one of these spacers! lol

Hi Alex and anybody else interested these photo's are of my collar and bolt.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/65493317@N04/5971424892/in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/65493317@N04/5971422854/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/65493317@N04/5971421066/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/65493317@N04/5971419618/in/photostream/

Cheers
Rick

hi alex,this distance washer/cone is not available at draganfly or russell motors,part number 24-5226. the bolt part number 24-5228 is listed at russell £5.25 and draganfly at £7-32.anybody wanting a cone in steel or stainless steel let me know and ill make them in the next couple of days cheers rick

Thanks Rick, I have a lathe and can turn up one myself. As for the bolt, should be able to do that too,though it may require a round piece welded to a longer bolt, drilled and pegged to the spring mount.
Cheers, Vince

email (option): bsa3man@rocketmail.com

Henk had the cone parts in his sale of spares, and he indicated he may have extras if anybody wants an original, mine arrived today in the mail,
Cheers, Vince

email (option): vinver"ns.sympatico.ca

I still have a few of these for 5 euro each.

Henk.

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Nieuwe pagina 1