Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Norton wet sumping?

Tried to start the 16h today after approximately 2 months... The engine started with the first kick, but there was white smoke coming out of the exhaust, and after a few seconds the engine turned off. I tried again, the engine started once more but with the same result... Never managed to start it again, no matter how much I kicked!
Does it have to do with the "wet sumping" phenomenon that I have read in previous posts?
Can someone explain what this is and how can I fix it?
Kostas

email (option): Ferrarakias@hotmail.com

Re: Norton wet sumping?

Kostas it's quite a common occurrence....and Norton's seem to be especially susceptible. The problem is that the oil in your tank will seep past your oil pump when you leave the bike standing for any length of time, and end up in the bottom of the engine. If you can start the engine (sometimes difficult and always smoky) the oil will eventually pump back to the tank.
Far better to drain the oil via the brass plug at the bottom of timing chest into a clean container and poor it back into your tank first.
Some guys will fit a non return valve in the feed line, or even a tap. Both options can end in disaster however. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Welcome to the world of british bikes!

I've often been told that whatever BSA can do, Norton can do better

If wet sumping occurs after a couple of months I guess I could live with it, if it happens in a week or overnight then something has to be done. Rob.

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

Problem solved, thank you for your help.
Drained the crank from the oil, filled the oil tank, changed the sparkplug (was filled with oil) and started the engine first kick!

Yes Kostas, the solution is to start the bike up every week or be prepaired to drain the crankcase like you have just done.
Best regards Ron, but please, no kissing.

Ron,
Thanks for the tip!
Kostas...

Hey Kostas, mine also manages to fill the primary case as well! If this level is not checked it will through oil all over the back end.
On the other hand my M20 has stood for nearly a year now, with stale petrol, it started second kick and no wet sumping. There's quality.
Cheers, Mick.

email (option): mick@motorbikemike.org.uk

Hey, wait a minute where did you find that kissing emoticon?

Mick,
How is it possible for the primary chaincase to be filled with oil?
I'll send you a kiss too if you explain to me...
Kostas

douglas
Hey, wait a minute where did you find that kissing emoticon?

When composing your message you can use the emoticons on the bottom or click "more" on the right bottom corner and select another!

Kostas, the answer is that the oil will reach the level of your main bearings and seep through to the chain case. Ron

Hi Ron, you beat me to it!

email (option): mick@motorbikemike.org.uk

The aspect of Nortons emptying their oil tanks via the gear pumps is something that Nortons denied was a problem right from the Edgar Franks 1932 redesign until 1975 when they suddenly fitted a small plunger against the oil pump outlet on the MkIII 850 Commando.

Quite why this was necessary when they'd been denying the problem for more than forty years of continuous production will probably remain a mystery.

That said, the Norton pump is a robust thing and tolerant of all sorts of rubbish going through it. Even in a badly worn state, it will continue to feed and scavenge adequately.

If the situation occurs over days or a week or so then the pump or it's mounting needs attantion. Otherwise you now know that you can best drain the sump first, otherwise drag on the flywheels will stop you spinning it over. If it does start, it's unlikely to damage anything but can throw most of the excess out of the breather onto the floor anyway.

How is the bike now Kostas ?

That's last week's ride in front of my house...

http://s960.photobucket.com/albums/ae90/Ferrarakias/?action=view¤t=f8c04d39.mp4&evt=user_media_share

No worries there Kostas and the tickover is steadier than the hand of the cameraman !

Have you been on the retsina ?

Nieuwe pagina 1