Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
marking polar bears

Does anyone have of knows the original size, position of the marking of the polar bears on the fueltank of the bsa m20? And also size, position and style of the C number on the tank? i will get a new paintjob and then I will get the numbers and logo also painted in the original style! Thanks!!

Greetz, bjorn

email (option): bsam20@ziggo.nl

Re: marking polar bears

Bjorn, there has been previous forum discussion about this aspect and unfortunately, it seems that according to instructions dated as early as 1941, 'formation signs' were no longer to be displayed on motorcycles. Which period are you intending to portray ?

There are photos showing the badge applied in Iceland but then you'll really need a 1940 model with large fuel tank.

Census number styles and sizes varied early on, before becoming standardised. What date is the bike ? Which colour are you using ?

dear Rik,
I have a bike from 1943 and it's dark green. The photo of the bike is onthis side under bjorn nuchelmans holland.I dont have a war tank but an early tank. I have the matching number but it a sticker and now i want to paint in on the tank

Bjorn, the best bloke to ask about images of the Polar Bear is probaly Hinrik Steinsson. He has a museum in Iceland. You can search for him in the box above right and click "by user".
We have already spoken on the subject. You should be able to pick up his email address.
The West Riding's decided to alter the polar bear image when they left Iceland. Hans Muller from this site can clearly remember seeing it on vehicles in Holland in 1945.
Artistic licence would enable you to put it on your bike, same as Hans did. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

The standard 'late-war' size for motorcycle census numbers was half the 3 1/2" x 2 1/2" x 5/8" thick size used on 'B' vehicles, giving figures 1 3/4" high x 1 1/4" wide with a thickness of 5/16"

This is distinctly smaller than the 1" high x 3/4" wide style used in 1940.

Unit signs for 'B' vehicles were 9 1/2" x 8 1/2" and it would seem reasonable to reduce these to half size for motorcycle Arm of Service markings (and formation signs if you want to display one). Try it out on your tank but 4 3/4" high x 4 1/4" wide sounds about right.

Photobucket

Thanks!!!

I have contact Hans and he is helping me! Many thanks!!!! AGAIN for the great advise!!!!

Greets,

BJorn

On the actual divisional sign, the Polar Bear: photographic evidence suggests that despite the normal practice of a rectangualr/square background for similar signs, 49 div markings were the polar bear on a black roundel, with quite commonly a white band around the outside. The polar bear would usually be facing forward.

Nieuwe pagina 1